Should I rat him out?

So my step son is 12, and is currently failing four classes in school. He lives with his mother, and comes over to our house every weekend. Last I heard, on Sunday, was that he is grounded from his Playstation 3. Well hubby just saw on our Playstation 3 that ss was logged in two hours ago, on a school night, after his bed time, when he is supposed to be grounded from it. I don't always agree with BM, but I feel it's important that we try and stay consistent. So, should I send her an email and rat him out? Or should I just let it go, and ask him about it when I see him again on Friday?

my2.5boys

Asked by my2.5boys at 11:38 PM on Feb. 24, 2009 in General Parenting

• Personally I would "rat him out". He needs to have consistent consequences.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:23 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• If his mother grounded him from it I would rat him out otherwise he is going to think that everytime he comes to your house he will be able to do what he wants.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 9:06 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• he wasn' at our house when this happened, he was at his mothers house. my hubby has him as a friend, so whenever hubby is logged in he can see when the last time all his were logged in. that's how we know he was playing last night. what i don't know is if his mother was letting him play, or if he was sneaking it in.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 9:25 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• IMO you should have hubby talk to him. Don't "rat him out" so he doesn't feel like his dad went behind his back to tell( even if thats a misguided view). Your hubby is also his parent, and knows what rules the mom has set. Have hubby talk to him on his weekend. Hubby should let him know that he knows he isn't supposed to be playing and that he logged on anyway so he has 2 choices. 1) inform the mom together and let mom decide punishment if any 2) dad can also ground him from playstation at his home (or whatever punishment) b/c he broke moms rules. That will show the son that even if mom and dad aren't together, they are going to support each other in the decisions made and that he can't play one parent off of the other.
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 3:15 PM on Feb. 25, 2009