Am I so wrong with allowing a five year old to be around the corner, in the next isle while shopping?

My five year old step son is trying to become his own person. He likes to be around the corner in the store while shopping with me. This is a new thing and I feel that he needs a little independence. It is not like I let him out of my sight for even a minute. It is always less than a minute and if there was anyone in that isle, I would not let him go ahead.

My MIL flipped out on me over it...

What do you think? It is not like I live in a big city or anything.

girlneffy

Asked by girlneffy at 11:45 PM on Feb. 24, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I dont think the big city thing matters at all.

But I have a 5 year old son and we are doing this a little. I will let him go down the SAME isle as me but I have to have eye visual on him. I just couldnt live with myself if something did happen.
    It seems like the news is overrun with abduction cases and it scares me to death.

If it were me, I would give independance, as long as you have sight. But I am a worrywart, soooo......
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 11:48 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• i wouldn't let him out of my sight. down ahead of you in the same isle where you can see him is independent enough. you really do hear about abductions and such way too often.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 11:56 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I would never let my child be out of my sight in a store. There are to many sick/crazy people in the world. You have good means by letting the child do this but it only takes one sick/crazy person to harm a child. I found my neice in Wal-Mart one day trying to find her mama and she was 6 years old at the time and I flipped the hell out on her.
    breezy2005

Answer by breezy2005 at 11:59 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I would have to say no and this is why: If you give them this little freedom now what happens next year when they want to go a bit further? Or hit 12 and want to wonder the store while you shop? What happens that one time they go further than they are supposed to and disappear? There was case recently where an 8 year old girl was molested by a guy in Wal-Mart while she was a few feet away from her mother: http://www.dreamindemon.com/2009/02/08/paul-hicks-stalks-children/ I don't think my kids life is worth the risk. There are other ways to help them express their independence.

tandknix

Answer by tandknix at 11:59 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Yeah tandknix, that reminds me of what my mother told me.

When she was about 7 or so. She was in a store looking at something and her mother was just down the isle from her. A man came up behind her and started rubbing her butt and she didnt know what to do. She was VERY timid and shy so she remained quiet and NEVER told anyone until she told me. But she knew that what he did was wrong even then, she was just to meek to tell.

i dont trust ANYONE.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 12:03 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I am on the fence about this one for 2 reasons. I once let my son (5) go with his cousin (12) to loo at the toys, my son ran off to show me something but couldn't find me, I thought he was with his cousin, his cousin thought he was with me and the next thing I knew I was being paged over the intercom. SCARY/EMBARRASSING! Now on the other hand my son is so in tune with staying away and not getting near strangers that I have trusted him since to be down and around the aisle. He is 10 now and I let him walk from the bus top because other kids walk with him. I don't think it is too much of a big deal in a store that he is familiar with.
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 12:04 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Sorry, still not worth the risk. It only takes once and it happens to your kid when you think something like that would never happen. My kids are allowed to be independent at home where I know it's a safe environment.
    tandknix

Answer by tandknix at 12:07 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• tandknix: I just looked at that link.....uggg....sooooo scary and disgusting that it can happen and the mom is right THERE!!!! Makes me hold tighter to my little boogers.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 12:12 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• No, it's not a problem as long as you don't mind him being abducted. Have you watched the news lately? People are lunatics and we need to do all we can to protect our children from these people
    MicahsMom612

Answer by MicahsMom612 at 12:34 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• two words: ADAM WALSH

The boy might be able to cope just fine being around the corner for just a minute or two. But pervets are on the lookout for just such a thing. Why risk it.

If he wants to feel grown up, let him set the table or make a PB&J.
    Julie411me

Answer by Julie411me at 1:06 AM on Feb. 25, 2009