are you offended by the words. . ..

of "gay", "queer", and so on?

I am. I've changed a lot over the last few years. I used to say those words all the time. But I find it offensive now. I'm not homosexual but, I think they are not the correct kind of descriptive words.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:49 PM on Feb. 24, 2009 in Just for Fun

• To be honest, I'm not offended by any words. Words are just words, it's the way people use the words that makes them offensive. I'm the type of person that you could say anything to, and I will not get offended. I just don't take things personally. I figure if you are the type of person who needs to belittle someone else to make yourself feel better, that is your problem, and I refuse to make it mine.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 11:52 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I'm not offended by those words, but then again I'm not gay so maybe if I was a homosexual that would change my feelings towards them.

I don't say them, because I feel that those words, along with many others, make a person sound very unintelligent JMO
    Anonymous

• To say all words are harmless and should be taken neutrally is to take away the beauty that is language and literature. Certain words are meant to encite different reactions in people. Certain words are supposed to entice different level of emotions. Words being used well is the difference between a best seller and a crappy book. It is how people use the words that make them good, bad or offensive (and there are some words that have no other purpose other than being offensive). I am not offended by the word "gay" but I disagree with people using it as an insult. To insult someone using the word infers that being gay is insulting and therefore is bad. That's rude to gay people. The same for "queer." It's nice to demand that you should be able to say whatever you want and everyone should just have no feelings about it but sorry, culture and society don't work that way. Language taboos exist everywhere, not just here.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 12:02 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• no.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:02 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Nope, and my gay friends will sometimes say things are gay. So there you go!
    mommalady

Answer by mommalady at 12:03 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• People giving connotative meanings to harmless words is a shame and lazy communication. We should be able to speak our minds without turning harmless words into descriptive weapons. I don't need to tell someone "that's so gay" in order to let them know I don't like something.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 12:04 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I'm offended when they are used in a hateful manner. With the right person, conversation, joking style certain words can be used without sounding racist or mean.
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 12:07 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• No why would I be? As long as they are used in the right context then I dont see what the big deal would be
    hautemama83

Answer by hautemama83 at 12:14 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Last month I went to see my gay male friends new home and over the bed he had a big B/W portrait of 2 hot guys kissing and I said in my Valley girrl imition 'Oh..My....God.......THAT IS SOOOO GAY!!!!! I LOVE IT!!!! and then he said, ' You know it bitch"! He didn't get offended! But you better watch who you say it to lol.
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 12:15 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• oops! imitation.
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 12:16 AM on Feb. 25, 2009