would you kennel your dog outside so you didnt have to chain them up ?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:49 PM on Feb. 24, 2009 in Pets

• again, people in that situation probably shouldn't have dogs....
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 12:10 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Just because someone doesn't want a dog in their house all the time doesn't mean they shouldn't have a dog. It depends on how the dog was raised. Yes, it would be unfair to take a long-time house dog and suddenly put it outside. But a dog that is raised outside doesn't know the difference. As long as it get's good care and plenty of attention, there's nothing wrong with it. Better that than the pound right?

People are always going on about how dogs are "pack animals" and need to live in the house. Well, Horses are herd animals but you don't see anyone complaining about the fact that they are kept in individual stalls in a barn. It's just semantics.

I would rather see a dog in a large kennel than on a chain. Chains tend to make dogs develop attitude problems. The visible boundaries of a kennel are less frustrating to the dog than hitting the end of a chain when he gets excited about something.

Sharon7772

Answer by Sharon7772 at 12:44 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Never, dogs are pack animals/family is the pack. The dog will NEVER be part of your pack and you WILL have a dog that doesn't see his roll in the family so he won't know how to act with you or others very well, he has no roll, he is unatually a loner!!!!!!!!
    mulder81605

Answer by mulder81605 at 1:20 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• If a person can afford a kennel type run - they can afford to fence their yard IMO. But, I don't have a problem with people who keep there dogs outside - as long as the people live outside with them.
    misskimmy62

Answer by misskimmy62 at 3:12 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I don't have a problem with seeing one that is kept in a kennel outside what so ever.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:06 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Do you mean kenneling them outside to LIVE, or just so that they can go outside because they're escape artists? If its so they can go out for excercise, then yes. If its just to keep them out 24//7, then no. My dogs are part of the family and deserve to be inside with us.
    mom2ljh

Answer by mom2ljh at 8:38 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• the only way my dog would go in an outdoor kennel is to go to the bathroom, and only be out there for maybe 10 to 20 minutes for exercise time too. i would never ever tie my dog up. but i'd probably never have the heart to get a kennel for my dog anyway. we always walk her on a leash, like any dog should be.
    MaMaLaLa369

Answer by MaMaLaLa369 at 11:22 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I just do not see why some people get a dog just to keep it outside in a kennel...Not only is it cruel to the dog, it is not any fun for your neighbors... The dog that is trapped in a kennel ( or God forbid, tied up) will bark non-stop at nothing and at everything. You want an animal that doesn't require human interaction and will not mess up your house? Try ToyRUs - billions of stuffed animals there.
    misskimmy62

Answer by misskimmy62 at 2:25 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Oh goodness. I just wanted to say , that any animal required to be in a kennel outside, needs to have adequacy shelter from rain , wind ,cold and heat.. Is he in there all day? While you work? or is it a safe place for him to exercise? Is he a guard dog? What purpose does he have within your family? Will he be able to have walks, fun with the kids,or be taught to be a good dog. Hunting dogs are in a pack, kenneled together to do their jobs. Sled dogs are kept outside on a chain or post til they are needed to do their job.These dog live outside and have a job to preform. A kenneled dog 24 /7 is not a happy dog. So if I had to kennel a dog, he would get out to walk, play chase balls, and know the family. Then it's a good thing. Chaining up a dog for his intire life is not good.Promotes bad habits and he may get loose or break his neck.I have seen this myself. So good luck on your decision on what ever you choose.

doglovergranny

Answer by doglovergranny at 2:55 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• i have a shepherd and we have a really long lead for her.she doesnt like the cold.so she wont stay out long.but in the summer i put her out with the sprinkler on her and she just lies underneath it.i do have a beware of dog sign out side just in case you dont know she is there.i dont THINK she would bite but you do have to be a responsible pet owner especially with a 100 pnd shepherd...
    snowmom974

Answer by snowmom974 at 2:58 PM on Feb. 25, 2009