Why did you not breastfeed or keep up with it?

I wish I never would have tried. The little amount of milk that I did produce made my daughter sick. Not only did I never produce enough, she would vomit (not spit up) what she did take in.

I have to use formula and she is doing great.

We all have our reasons, even if it is just personal choice. I want to know yours and it really is just to tell the BF Nazi's off

girlneffy

Asked by girlneffy at 11:59 PM on Feb. 24, 2009 in General Parenting

• I can't comment on that. Still breastfeeding my two year old. Maybe your child had an allergy to something you were eating or needed to be burped after feeding or during feeding. I am sorry that you needed to quit breastfeeding, but that isn't a reason to get pissed off at well-meaning breastfeeding advocates.
    dhsredhead

Answer by dhsredhead at 12:03 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I made the dumb choice when I was 16 to get my chest pierced. Well by the time I got pregnant and gave birth at 21 , one of my breasts was blocked and the milk couldn't come out, not to mention the milk I was producing wasn't sufficent enough to feed my very healthy and very hungry little guy
    bubblycute

Answer by bubblycute at 12:04 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I happily formula fed my son. I was bashed by many breast feeding moms and was told I was a bad mom. I was told my son would be slow and unhealthy. I ignored them and did what was best for my family. My son is gifted and never sick. Those who criticized me have since apologized and realized there is no one perfect way to do everything.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:06 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I do appreciate the breastfeeding advocates, but the mean people that bash me daily for not breast feeding are the people that I am tired of.

Breast is not exactly best!
    girlneffy

Answer by girlneffy at 12:11 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I only tried to BF because my bf's two kids from previous marriage both had asthma (oldest still does) and allergies. Before that, I always planned to formula feed because my sister and I were and we both were never sick and both are very smart. I stopped BFing after 2 weeks. I was cracked on both sides and it was beginning to hurt so bad that i was squeezing a pillow to keep myself forom accidently squeezing my LO when she started feeding. I was even kicking my feet up. lol. I was trying everything but screaming. So I gave up and used the samples that I had been provided from the doctor or hospital. After that I never turned back. She took the bottle without any trouble and is a happy baby who eats a bunch. lol. I am happy to formula feed. I wasn't unhappy BFing except for the pain thing. I also stopped before I ever had to do the running around i do now. i am not sure how it would have worked with all the running
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 12:15 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I formula fed my son because I had to go off my antidepressent while I was pregnant and I needed them again. While I do agree that "breast is best" I knew that it would be very unhealthy for my son to have a Mom who was so unstable. So I chose the lesser of two evils and formula fed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:18 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I really have no desire to "tell the BF Nazi's off". I thin BFing is a great choice for those who can do it. I tried to BF my son for 6 weeks, i never had enough milk. Then i had to go back to work and had hella trouble finding a pump that would work for me. So...thats why I formula fed.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 12:18 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I have 3 children. My oldest two were FF, i'm still currently nursing my youngest. 7 months and going strong. With my first daughter, I went into it blind. I knew NOTHING about BFing. I also didn't know I had flat nipples. The nurses at the hospital never said anything, and I ended up with cracked, bleeding nipples, said "to hell with this" and FF. Now I know that it was a latch problem. With my second DD, I had the same latch problems, so I tried to pump. I couldn't keep up with my daughters demand. Now I know that it was because pumping 3 times a day isn't going keep up an adequate supply. So, I didn't keep up with BFing due to a lack of education, and also support since no one gave a crap what I did...I wish I had a BF advocate around then. BTW-The term BF Nazi is very derogatory, and calling us that, will only entice more of the "crap" you wish we didn't give.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 12:39 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• While I am a breastfeeding advocate, a "NAZI" I am definitely not. I do not pull people that formula feed from their homes and drag them into death camps. It is horribly derogatory.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:47 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• why is it that breastfeeding moms are supposed to be tolerant and accepting of formula feeding moms, but the same doesn't apply for formula feeders? formula is substandard, every health organization states it is the last choice that should be used (breastfeeding, pumped milk, donor milk/wet nurse, formula). this is the truth, i'm not making it up, and i don't understand why telling the truth makes women think i am being insulting. if you feel "guilty" that is of your own doing. for those who truly COULDN'T breastfeed, i feel very badly for you. as for the others, almost any issue with breastfeeding can be fixed. the only thing that would stop me from breastfeeding would be if both my breasts were gone. if that were the case, i would get donor milk or find a wet nurse before i would EVER consider formula. JMO
    kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 1:05 AM on Feb. 25, 2009