Sleeping arrangements at BM's house? Help?

My SKs BM is moving into a 3 bedroom apartment this weekend. She remarried less than a year ago. her new husband has 2 teen daughters. My SKs: 8 1/2 year old girl and 4 almost 5 year old boy. The oldes teen daughter graduated at midterm, was married in dec and has moved with her military hubby. the other teenage girl (15) still lives with them most of the time. My SKs are at our house more often than not. BM's current living arrangement is a 4 bdrm house (1 bedroom for each child and one for her and her hubby). When they move she is going to have my SD & SS share a room, but keep SD's clothes in the teen's room because she is worried about SD's modesty(something new and not consistent). Here at our house they each have their own room. I am worried this arrangement will cause SS to have more problems sleeping in his own room/bed. He has a hard enough time at BMs sleeping. I am also concerned about teen influence on SD...

aly38914290

Asked by aly38914290 at 12:08 AM on Feb. 25, 2009 in General Parenting

• That's not always true about boys/girls sharing rooms. It is illegal/not allowed for a foster situation, I know that, in some states.

Anon 12:33's comment was neither rude nor ignorant, however anon1:11's response comes across as haughty and snobish.

Provide a link when giving out such information.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:13 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• You should also check out the fact that in most states it's illegal for a boy and a girl to share a room after a certain age.
    bubblycute

Answer by bubblycute at 12:12 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Things have finally been getting good between BM and myself so I dont want to cause too many waves. I know there probably isn't much I can do, but I do worry about it. Lately I have been having trouble keeping my SS out of his sister's room. He keeps sneaking in there and I have to drag him out. So, I know this move is going to make things worse. I don't really want my SD to room with her older step sister because my SD already knows WAY too much...so there isn't really a win....but any ideas would be great. Thank you for the input about legality.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 12:19 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I"d like to see some kind of link saying its illegal. I dont believe that..maybe sharing a bed is but not a room.

anyhow, back to question: maybe you could suggest one of them sleep on the couch? I have 5 kids & until recently (we got bunk beds) I had one sleeping on a hide a bed when they were all here (they aren't all here but twice a year due to custody arrangements & one lives out of town now)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:33 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• To the anonymous poster I know for a fact in CA if CPS were to find out that a boy and a girl were sharing a room over the age of 6 the parents could be deemed to have unfit living quarters. I think that your comment comes across as rude and ignorant but that's just me
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:11 AM on Feb. 25, 2009