my son is going to be 6 Sept. 7 and he starts kindergarten this fall. I am so worried about everything. His attitude, his attention span, EVERYTHING. What should I do to prepare him for Kindergarten?

amdeetuemama

Asked by amdeetuemama at 9:58 PM on Jun. 19, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Attention span of a Kindergarten can be as little as 10 minutes or even 5 minutes if they are more determined to do their own thing. :) My youngest just finished kindergarten and the only thing the school required BEFORE kindergarten is that she new her colors, could count to 20, write her name, and do basic self help skills: dress, put on shoes, use the bathroom by herself, feed self etc.… (Of course they may need help tying or buttoning here and there, but basically they wanted her to be able to do things on her own) It was the same way with DS. Perhaps if your budget allows it sign up for a summer day camp, or a sporting activity that would expose him to having to “listen” to another adult, and take direction in a group setting. (It may also help boost the attention span….)
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 11:19 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I just had my first 3 weeks ago. I am in this prgram called Healthy families (A.K.A. The Children First Center) They come to your house every week at first and then once or twice a month. They help you with various activities and help ou prepare your child for school. If this is available to you in your area I would definately call and take advantage of the opportunity.
    Amanda_Jo1209

Answer by Amanda_Jo1209 at 10:01 PM on Jun. 19, 2008