how long?

Today I just got my first parent raised parakeet. Always before I have gotten them hand fed. The bird I have is very young maybe only 7 or 8 weeks old. How long will it take to tame the bird so I can hold it? So far I have done what the book said and kept an eye on him/her. I know the bird is eating and drinking. I have talked to him quite a bit and and alread he seems more at ease with me. I really want to hold him but I don't want to scare him.

jamesmommy12

Asked by jamesmommy12 at 12:11 AM on Feb. 25, 2009 in Pets

• I would start holding him soon! If you have had him for at least 24-48 hours I would start taking him out and walking around the house 1 or 2 times and then put him back, and then go get him out again a little while later...say 15 minutes later, I would do that a few times through out the day, don't be afraid to hold him too much. He will be just fine, you don't want him to become too scared of you and used to his cage more than he is with you. Just keep it quiet and calm. I have had birds for years and NEVER had one that was mean or freaky or flighty. Have fun and let me know if you have other questions.
    mulder81605

Answer by mulder81605 at 1:17 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Just hold him, I adopted an adult who was deff. mistreated and it hated everyone, so I just used a towel (to pertect my hands) and held it for a while each day... Now the crazy bird loves everyone! They just need to be shown you wont hurt it. Good Luck
    ashley_hatty

Answer by ashley_hatty at 8:02 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• i love parakeets,they are so cool.let him out now.ours used to land on the dogs back.they usually land on your head at first.
    snowmom974

Answer by snowmom974 at 3:01 PM on Feb. 25, 2009