Help my SS sleep in his own room!!!

My step-son has done very well since Aug. when we made him & his sister sleep in their own room (before we moved they shared a room). We had to get firm with him, but he did well. Then when his mom moved into a new house, he started having nightmares at her house. The week he started having nightmares at her house, he would still be scared when he came home. So, we had to reassure him that he was safe, that i heard just about everything that happened in the house, etc. We told him that spiderman came alive off his blanket and protected him. This and our vigilance keeping him in his own bed helped him get back to normal. However, he is starting to sneak into his sister's room again. There was a wind storm a week ago that shook his window really badly. I have been trying to get him comfortable again. He is 4 almost 5, but I am not sure what else to do to help him sleep better at home and at his mothers...

aly38914290

Asked by aly38914290 at 12:21 AM on Feb. 25, 2009 in General Parenting

• Give him monster spray. A bottle of water! Then he says "monster monster go away, monsters dont like monster spray" Worked for my kid.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:23 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• We too use Monster Spray, only ours is a can of aresol Lysol. Can you buy him a stuffed spiderman to take to bed with him every night? If the spiderman coming off the blanket worked, maybe a stuffed spiderman will. The monster spray works great with my girls though!
    BabyBeans0506

Answer by BabyBeans0506 at 12:49 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Try a dreamcatcher. It is a net on a hoop with small toy like decorations attached. Our son made them in cub scouts, you can find directions in cub scout manual. The idea is that the net catches bad/scary dreans but lets the happy thoughts pass thru, it worked really well for my children.
    higherboundmom

Answer by higherboundmom at 11:52 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• How old is sister and does she mind him sleeping with her sometimes? Siblings of the opposite sex can often be close and find comfort in sharing a bed with each other. Maybe this is a special time for them to bond (especially if this started in the home during the divorce/during arguements,etc?). Especially since hes not getting into your bed,but hers. Also, if the problems didn't start until mom got a new house, maybe the unfamiliarity of the new house upsets him and he can't settle in it. Therefore hes extra tired and sensitive when he comes home and needs the extra reasssurance of his sister's presence. Also, just a shot in the dark...new house, start of nightmares that Spiderman can't help with...maybe hes actually seeing something over there and hes afraid it'll follow him to your house. Maybe ask BM to light a white candle in his room or burn some sage or say a prayer. And do the same at yours too...even to help mentally
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 3:08 PM on Feb. 25, 2009