Am I being silly?

Okay so I sent my daughter (6mos) over to her Nana's for a sleepover because I was really ill, and just wanted a full night of sleep to help boost my immune system (tonsilitis is what I had.) So, my MIL dropped off my daughter a little before supper time today. When I went to take my daughter out of her car seat, I almost puked. She stunk of dog spit (they have a small pomerainian) spit up and sweat. Her clothes were covered in stains, that were never there. Her stuffed bunny and her blankie smelled and were crusty from dog spit. My MIL dropped off my daughter, said hope you feel better and walked out the door. I'm livid, but I feel I have no place saying that I would like my daughter to be at least CLEAN when she comes home. I send her there in clean clothes all bathed and I was hoping for the same thing.
Is is wrong for me to be a little pissed about her being dirty and for her things to have OBVIOUS dog spit on them?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:49 AM on Feb. 25, 2009 in Relationships

• MAN! You are not wrong! I would be super pissed about that as well!! Some people need to have respect for others. Not only was that a slap in the face for you but I would take it as a "she really knows how to treat her grandaughter". Thats terrible, how would she like to be covered in sweat and smelling? I bet she wouldn't like it one bit at all!! Why do people think that just because a baby is a baby they don't care what they look like, or feel like, or smell like. A sweaty, smelly baby most times is cranky because its uncomfortable to be like that! Peoples children should be clearner then they are if they can be, and its not that hard to keep a 6 month old clean! That would be my last overnight for a loooonnnggg time. She would see my baby with me in the room.
    BabyBeans0506

Answer by BabyBeans0506 at 1:13 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• OP CONTINUED - I've also asked her not to let the dog get ahold of my daughters things either. I've told her this everytime she goes and my MIL purposely doesn't listen. Says that it's healthy for the dog to be with my daughter all the time. She lets the dog lick INSIDE my daughters mouth too!!
    I haveno family near by and she's the only one around. I don't know what to do anymore about her. I can't just not have my daughter never see my in-laws..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:51 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• yeah I would be pissed off too! you sent your daughter there expecting her to be watched. Why was she where the dog could spit on her?
    Breezy1988

Answer by Breezy1988 at 12:52 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• omg. that is gross. you have every right to be pissed. and if her not going over there is what it takes to stop it then dont send her overthere anymore. not until your MIL starts taking more care of her. if my MIL did that i wouldn't have anything to do with them until it was resolved. i can understand the dog being around alil but not to the point to where your daughter had dog stuff on her and everywhere else. that could make her sick.
    bare121807

Answer by bare121807 at 12:55 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I clouldn't even ask because MIL left right away, and I tried calling her a bit later ans no answer. And she has caller ID so she knows who's calling...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:58 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• You're going to have to put your foot down, tell her that you will find someone else to babysit and that your daughter won't be going over there without your supervision since she's not respecting your wishes
    Breezy1988

Answer by Breezy1988 at 1:03 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• OP HERE - It's just frustrating because when I do need my MIL I dread it. I don't go out without her, and when I do go to visit, my daughter NEVER leaves my lap. I never get just a time to get groceries or errands without having my daughter because I don't want her around it. Last night she had togo because I was just too sick to take care of her myself. My SO is away for work and isn't home.. so I haveno one to turn to, and to make it more miserable teh one friend I had that would help me out, moved 8 hours away from me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:07 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• nasty!!! I hate dogs anyway but licking inside my baby's mouth??? I would shit bricks!!! Screw your MIL...I think I would cut her OFF!!! Find a good babysitter (like a high schooler that is willing to stay late then rest as much as you can until she has to leave.) I would do that before sending DD back to the nastiness.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:41 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• That is very gross and I would be upset for sure. However...I doubt saying anything to her is going to help. She will just say..well, you called me and I helped you out. It will likely cause a fight and make it hard on you. I would just clean her up, wash her seat and toys and just know that this is not a good option next time you are sick. Shes not likely to change her ways just because you mentioned it to her and in fact, probably does not see anything wrong. I agree with the pp about finding a sitter that you are comfy with. Maybe a teenage friend that can come to your home and you could still sleep while shes there and also for if you need to go out. There are many 17-18 yr olds that are great with kids. Sorry that happened.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:40 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• You knew she had a dog.So you were aware of it. Very touchy subject.GL.
    jareda69

Answer by jareda69 at 9:20 AM on Feb. 25, 2009