People's attire and attitude...

Do you think that they way people dress today, especially younger generations, is a reflection of our society? Do you accept it? Do you think parents or members of society should interfere more? For example, teachers, bosses, etc.?

thundernlight

Asked by thundernlight at 12:51 AM on Feb. 25, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I think how anyone dresses is the LAST thing anyone should be giving any thought to at this time in our country to be totally honest. If ANY attention is given to clothes/attire, maybe it should be pressure put on Big Retail to stop churning out halter tops for 5 year olds and dolls that look like they should be standing on a street corner.
    aurorabunny

Answer by aurorabunny at 12:52 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Excellent question. Yes I do think they are, unfortunately, a reflection of our society. A society that worships Rap stars. People who do drugs, are in gangs, beat women up. If we accept this stuff as normal, we are very much to blame. Parents need to be responsible for their children. I think if a child gets in trouble, make the parent do time. They are a victim of lazy parenting.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:53 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• LOL aurorabunny-I agree with you:)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:55 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I thinking judging someone by the way they dress, is kinda wrong..... people dress (espec. younger generation) as an expression of their interests...but to look at just that without even knowing them is a little much...

for ex. some may think i dress "preppy" at times, and i am the farthest thing from a prep that i know... i just happen to like pink, and clothes that fit and make me look good.... to judge me based on my clothes alone is stupid in my opinion and wouldn't care what someone like that thought of me anyway....

and i agree... if people don't like the way their children are dressing, then do something about it... you are the parent!!! aren't you the one supplying them with the money to buy these clothes?
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 1:00 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I don't completely understand the question. Are you referring to immodesty?
    BatGirl1415

Answer by BatGirl1415 at 1:02 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I forgot to mention that as weird as this will sound, I AM an advocate of uniforms for schools....I think it takes so much pressure off of kids to have the "coolest" clothes, takes financial pressure off of parents, and while we all know schools will still have cliques I think uniforms would at least help cut down on that. I'm all for kids expressing themselves, I plan to let my son wear whatever he likes for the most part but if his school had uniforms I would have no qualms with that.
    aurorabunny

Answer by aurorabunny at 1:09 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I guess I don't quite see what you're getting at either. Styles aren't that bad now, and kind of look like they did when I was growing up in the '80's. I don't see a huge problem in attitude in young people, it's more like ALL people. I think there is something else going on that has nothing to do with clothing styles. It's the entitlement mentality that many people have. That comes from living during a time when credit is being used by people to live well beyond their means and to keep up the Joneses.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:11 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• aurorabunny, sadly my kids have been to a school where there were uniforms, and it did little to stop much of what you talked about. My oldest daughter hated that school and the judging and bullying that went on. Sadly, mean girls will be mean girls with or without the uniforms. Idk about boys there were a couple od kids that left because of the bullying though.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:15 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I think it is healthy for kids to express themselves with different hair, clothes as long as they stay respectful and age appropriate.

That said, manufacturers need to stop making clothes for little girls that are so revealing and trashy...stores should not sell them and people should not buy them. Schools do not allow these outfits so I really don't get why parents are still buying them.
    Niki_sd

Answer by Niki_sd at 1:37 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I do not mind the differences of dress as long as it is not revealing and trying to draw attention sexually. I cannot stand real low cut shirts/dresses ect on women and teens wearing their jeans half way down their rears and teens with belly buttons showing or teeny shorts. Its disgusting and inviting trouble!
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 1:48 AM on Feb. 25, 2009