Alternate to CIO

Any other suggestion beside CIO for my 11 months old DS? I can't get him to sleep on his own. I have to lay down next to him until he falls asleep and take him to his crib. I am 5 months prego and I am getting big and it is getting harder to keep this routine. CIO is not working for us because he will trow up and would not stop crying. It just gives me more work cleaning. I want to know how you other ladies who choose not to use CIO make this transition? His crib is next to our bed - ideally , i want him to just fall asleep on his own with or without mommy/daddy in the room.

ZuMama

Asked by ZuMama at 1:08 AM on Feb. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Check out "The No Cry Sleep Solution" by Elizabeth Pantley, or look up the sleep article on drjaygordon.com.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:57 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I second The No Cry Sleep Solution
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 2:08 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• if it makes you feel any better i did the cio method with my son and he never cried longer than 20 min and that only lasted for two nights and now he will fall asleep on his own and will sleep through the whole night! and if he does wake up in the night he only wines for a min or two. i strongly suggest you try it. i thought it sounded horrible for nothing else worked for me and now life couldnt seem any more perfect. hes happier i'm happier and have more energy and most important i dont get stressed out anymore! i understand why you dont want to do this method, but if nothing else works for you you should give it a try!
    havingaboy08

Answer by havingaboy08 at 3:06 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I third the No Cry Sleep solution.

I tried CIO when DD was 7 months old, and now, at almost 16 months, she still sleeps poorly (I belive bECAUSE of the CIO method. IT horribly back fired--made baby clingy, shorter naps, etc).

If it makes you feel better, I still lay next to my LO as she's falling asleep :~)
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 6:58 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• CIO is child abuse in IMHO, but to each their own. I strongly recommend the No Cry Sleep Solution. I still nurse my 20 month old to sleep, but she then gets put in her crib (which is right next to our bed with no railing) and thanks to the No Cry Sleep Solution at about 18 months old she started going for 8 hours at night without waking up. Your child is still a little young IMHO, but to each their own.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:24 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I used the No Cry Sleep Solution. I worked in about a week.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 9:29 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I'm with these guys. This book was instrumental for us. My son was going to bed at midnight, and we now have him going to bed around 7, and sleeping for 12 or so hours (still nursing at night, but he's only 6 months). I basically nurse my son, then rock him until he's comfortable, but not asleep, then lay him down. Sometimes, he'll cry, so I pick him back up and rock him again, and I repeat this until he lays there quietly.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:03 AM on Feb. 26, 2009