I feel bad and don't know how to react ..

I just got back from my mom's for a visit, and my step-dad was pretty upset when I got there. Him and my mom told me to go intothe living room because they had to "talk" to me, and excused my siblings.. (I'm the oldest by 16yrs..) Well long story short, my stepdad is a police officer on what American's call S.W.A.T, a bomb tech and a sniper. Well I was told that I might be getting some "hassle" form other officers who know who I'am because they don't like how my step-dad is black. My mom told me that he had to leave the sniper dept because he was continuiously getting told that "being a sniper is a white man's job and he should be one of the guys being sniped down.." I just about fell off my chair.
I feel so bad for my step-dad, that even moving to a new country (he moves from South Africa when he was 16 due to race violence towards his family..) he still gets treated badly based on his skin color.. I just don't know what

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:20 AM on Feb. 25, 2009 in Just for Fun

• OP CONTINUED - to say to him to at least make him feel better.
    I cried the whole way home thinking how cruel and mean some people STILL in the 21st century can be..
    Any words of advice or wisdom I can share with him?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:21 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• omg im so sorry! what a horrible thing to say to someone! where do you live?
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 1:23 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Why don't you just say what you just told us? Tell him how sorry you are he got treated that way and how bad you feel about it.
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 1:25 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• It just doesn't seem enough..
    He has a stone cold look on his face, but when you look him in the eyes he looks beyond hurt.
    He worked for 6 YEARS to get where he was, including getting rejected 7 times for his eye sight. ( you can't go in if you miss more than 3 targets at a certian range..and he's got bad eye sight..) and for him to leave based on more than half the squad telling him to leave because it's a white mans job is disheartening.. I mean I would leave too just so I wouldn't get bashed..
    I gave him a hug and said I was sorry, but it just doesn't seem enough to me.. like nothing I've said honestly makes him feel better...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:29 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I am assuming you are on the force? If anyone on the squad says anything at all to you, tell them he is a fine man and a hard working police officer who took the oath the same as they did, and the color of his skin is not up for discussion! I might even mumble a little something about racial discrimination if they dared to proceed with anything negative after that. What a bunch of crap. i *love* men who are willing to die for me, Jane citizen, if I get kidnapped by a gun-toting weirdo and held for ransom. If your step-Dad is there to take Mr. Bad Guy out, I'd be so &^%$$ grateful iI don't think I'd even notice the color of his skin (unless he is particularly handsome, and then I would notice but keep my admiration to myself since I'm married and all.)
    Trixiebelle2

Answer by Trixiebelle2 at 1:33 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Dont feel sorry, feeling sorry for him means there is something he should be ashamed of and there is NOT!! You should feel sorry for the people who treat him this way because they are obviously unhappy. He needs to stay there, it is his right. He worked hard to get that job, and it doesnt matter what anyone says...if they dont like him there they can leave, or grow up and act like adults!!!!
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 1:37 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Sounds like it is time to move. Racial tensions are less at different places in the country. I am a California girl all the way. Things aren't perfect here, but inter-racial marriages are more accepted and our cities are more of a melting pot.

I feel sorry for the ignorance or people that only see skin color. Tell your parents to head toward a coast or take legal action...or both
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:46 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• i say that what they said 2 your stepdad is ignorant and A BLACK MAN CAN DO THE SAME DAMN JOB A WHITE MAN CAN DO,PERFECT EXAMPLE WE HAVE OUR FIRST BLACK PRESIDENT AND I FOR ONE AM PROUD WE DO,ITS SAD THAT A LOT OF THINGS LIKE THIS IS HAPPENING BECAUSE OF UOR PRESIDENT BEING BLACK BUT I AM SURE THAT SOON ENOUGH YOUR DAD IS GOING TO BE RECONIZED AS A GOOD MAN OF THE LAW BY UN IGNORENT PERSONS TELL YOR DAD TO KEEP HIS HEAD HELD HIGH AND KEEP PUSHING AND DONT LET THOSE OF IGNORENCE GET TO HIM..

sauna26

Answer by sauna26 at 1:46 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• where the hell are you living? that is so wrong...that really upsets me...he does not deserve that at all...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:10 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Whoa, wait a minute! Your wonderful step-father (big hugs to him) should get a lawyer! He is in America now, which entitles him to certain rights, including not being fired for racial reasons.
    Stand firm, don't cry, and encourage him to stand up for his rights.
    God bless to you and your family.
    {{{HUGS}}}
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 9:28 AM on Feb. 25, 2009