Has anyone used the Dog Whisperer's techniques?

I am new to owning my own dog. I had dogs as a kid but never really had to train them. So we got a puppy and now I want to train her right. So I have been doing loads of research for who's techniques would work best. I was watching ceasar's show and it looked to me like he would be the best. So I went to the store and got one book. Hope to buy more tomorrow. He sells loads of training toys and leashes, I am also considering in purchasing if it helps. But my question is has anyone really stuck with his "terms" and it really worked. If so what book, video, other product do you recommend? I have cesar's way deck cards so far. They help but need more info.Thanks to everyone that responds.

zachysmommy04

Asked by zachysmommy04 at 1:36 AM on Feb. 25, 2009 in Pets

• I have a Saint bernard and they are VERY hard headed!! We tried the books and such, but then went to doggie school... It was so fun and he learned alot fast... The instructers are real people that can help if you get stuck and you wont be wasting any money on books that dont work! Good Luck with the new puppy!! Oh Yeah, training os about 100 bucks and you will get a lifetime of learning that you can use with every puppy that comes along :-)
    ashley_hatty

Answer by ashley_hatty at 7:59 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Having had herding breeds, I can see where Caesar is coming from!!! I have trained 5 dogs using very similar methods--this was way before I knew of Caesar---over the past 20 years:-) He has some very good "rules". I also think the above poster has a good idea of taking a hands on class with the dog. Here are just a few things I HIGHLY suggest you do:

Teach the dog to stay when told. Every chance you get you work on this.

Teach him to stay off of people unless invited.

Teach him to let you "examine" him like a vet would. You do this by making him stay on his side and checking his ears, his paws, his mouth, under the tail. If he tries to get him hold him down and tell him to "stay" or "no". This is one thing that vets really appreciate!!!!

It is stuff like this that I haven't exactly seen in Caesar's stuff. But his whole approach is very right on with herding dogs---letting the dog know who is in charge
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:01 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Work on the above stuff every chance you get. My 5 year old border collie STILL stays at the top of the stairs when I go down to get her food:-) She follows my any other time, but when she sees I have her dog bowls, she stays at the top and waits. I used that as an occasion to work on her staying in place even when I am out of sight:-)
    Also, teach the dog to sit WHENEVER you tell it. Even during a game of ball. It takes a lot of time in the beginning but living with a well mannered dog is awesome:-)
    I also like Caesar's rule about the door when visitors come over. Dogs do not have to be in people's faces just because they are dogs:-))))
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:04 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Also, distinguish between "down" and "off". "Down" can be used to make them lie down--off is for not jumping up. When my current dog was a pup, the youngest son taught her to bite "gently". It makes a difference in playing with kids. That idea came from Ian Dunbar of Sirius Dog Training. His stuff is good.  I think that is the big difference with Caesar and other trainers--Caesar gets the dog's mind ready for training and the others teach you the tools of training.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:10 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• his techniques really helped me train my bully pit..she sits, stays and doesnt move w out command..she knows up and down. she's pretty well trained for a 7month old..we're currently working on our people skills and to stay when the door is open..and walking, we're still working on..but that one is our fault becuase she doesnt get walked every day.
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 1:50 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I agree with everyone above. A puppy is like a child. They don't come preprogrammed. It's up to you to be the leader and teach them what they need to know. So going to training classes is really a good idea so you know what your doing. Between potty training, collar and leach training, and walking , and just the basic things you need to learn to teach your dog it is a good idea to explore all information you can come across to get the job done right. It is so nice to have a dog that is well trained and knows his place in the family. I have been working with dogs since I was 2 and yes there are still things I learn everyday about them. Did you know a dog can unstand 200 words. They know certain colors. The nose knows everything on a dog. And dogsof all breeds sizes and shapes require differnt levels of excerxie. So do get help so you can enjoy your new puppy and teach him/her to be smart. I love ceasar (the dog whisperer)
    doglovergranny

Answer by doglovergranny at 2:32 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• what kind of dog do you have???i tell you ive trained a golden retriever and it was awful and i have now a german shepherd and she is the smartest dog ever.i think it depends on the breed.
    snowmom974

Answer by snowmom974 at 2:50 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I agree that a lot of it depends on the breed, but having the techniques from Cesar is important too. I have a corgi now who was extremely easy to train, my daughter has a black lab we are using the same techniques and he is still terrible.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 3:14 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I am NOT a fan of Cesar. There are many other trainer/behaviorists out there with better methods and ideas. Check out the books "The Other End of the Leash", "The Culture Clash", and "Don't Shoot the Dog" if you want some really good training methods and advice that are all positive reinforcement, shaping, and conditioning, rather than flooding and forcing (which is what Cesar does). Good luck.
    Anonymous

• Caesar works with the dog's natural instincts. I have worked with a lab, heeler, border collies, and border collie x australian shepherd---I have seen that being the pack leader is the best way to go. This is especially true with the herding breeds which are the smarter dogs, his methods are very good. These dogs like to know who is in charge because if there isn't a human leader, they will take the lead!!!     

I think people tend to treat and expect dogs to act like humans--they are not. I trained the lab just with her sheer desire to please--no treats--and she was an awesome bird dog. Anyway, you can't go wrong with Caesar. I would encourage you to read all you can and I even would throw Ian Dunbar in there to check out:-)

Ronnie80

Answer by Ronnie80 at 8:50 PM on Feb. 25, 2009