grades

so i am writing an essay for school about the effects of grading. the original essay was about the negative effects of it. at first i was totally for traditional grading but then when i started thinking about it i realized that i remembered nothing from high school or even from the last quarters classes because i was concerned about getting good grades so i learned the material for the test and forgot it afterward. what do you ladies think about grading?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:45 AM on Feb. 25, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I think it's 100% necessary. Students won't try unless there's a requirement. I always worked hard to get good grades, I graduated from college with a 3.96 and I feel like I learned the material for the tests and papers.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 1:47 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• You make a good point anon, but you are talking about high school and I am thinking more in terms of my son. Chidren need grades and scores of some type to teach them standards. I agree with you when high school comes in to play because I learned so much and yet I loved to ditch school and missed tests. I found my old report cards and they all say, I am a smart kid but I miss too much school and assignments. I always scored high on state tests to get to the next grade but damnit, I was lazy!
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 1:57 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I prefer the grading system where the teacher/instructor/professor breaks down each assignment into parts and grades each portion according to those standards and then adds the total grade for that assignment.
    For instance, in college my paper may be able to earn a total of 150 points, but the breakdown is that some of those points go towards APA format, grammar and spelling, addressing the given assignment, providing and using various references, making sound arguments for or against the topic, etc.
    It is a fair and just way of grading which helps me, as the student, know where my weaknesses are on each assignment so that I can work on improving them for the next assignments.
    It is also a great boost to my moral to see that I have accomplished such individual tasks that go into creating one whole paper.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 8:02 AM on Feb. 25, 2009