Why do we sing "Rock a bye baby" to lull a baby to sleep when the song is about putting your baby in a tree and letting the wind crash the cradle on the ground?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:48 AM on Feb. 25, 2009 in Just for Fun

• same reason why we sing ring-around-the-rosie.
    it's a song about the dying people during the industrial revolution in England.
    They used to put posies in the dead bodies pockets to keep them from stinking so bad during the burning process.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:53 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Actually ring around the rosie is about the black plauge. Yes daises would go in their pockets to stop the ppl from smelling so bad ...and the rings around the rosie are the rosie cheeks that the ill ppl were known for.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:54 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Origins of words to "Rock a bye baby" in American history
    The words and lyrics to the "Rock a bye baby" rhyme are reputed to reflect the observations of a young pilgrim boy in America who had seen Native Indian mothers suspend a birch bark cradle from the branches of a tree. Thus enabling the wind to rock the cradle and the child to sleep! This rhyme is also known as "Hush a bye baby" which is the correct title. The confusion regarding these lyrics occurred due to the popularity of the old Al Jolson classic song "Rock a bye my baby with a Dixie melody!".
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:55 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Origins of words to "Rock a bye baby" in English history
    dating back to the 1700's

The story of the Nursery Rhyme relates to a family who lived in a tree house which was formed within a massive Yew tree. The Yew Tree concerned was believed to be nearly 2000 years old. The family were charcoal burners who lived in Shining Cliff Woods, Ambergate, Derbyshire in the 1700's. The ancient occupation of Charcoal Burning would be conducted by people who actually lived in the woods. Just like like this family. Their names were Kate and Luke Kennyon and they lived in what was locally called the 'Betty Kenny Tree' - a colloquialism for Kate Kenyon. The Kenyons had 8 children and a tree bough was hollowed out to act as a cradle for their children! Shining Cliff Woods was owned at the time by the Hurt family. The Kenyons were favoured by the Hurts who commissioned the artist James Ward of the Royal Academy to paint their portraits.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:56 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• The Yew tree still exists but was severely fire damaged by vandals in the 1930s. More information may be located on the Amber Valley Borough Council website.

outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:57 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• When my oldest was just a baby - 11 years ago.. I couldn't remember the real words to the mocking bird song.. but I heard Howie Mandel do this one.. and I would sing this song to my little one.. and he would always laugh !
    I lived with my parents at the time.. and this drove my mother NUTS..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fRqh657jHs&feature=related
    To get to the song.. you can fast forward it to exactly 4 minutes into the video..
    4xmommy2008

Answer by 4xmommy2008 at 2:22 AM on Feb. 25, 2009