So my 12 year old is using tampons...

So I found a tampon in the trash can today, and seeing as I am the only other woman in the house...I quickly discovered my 12 year old is using them!!!!!!

Moms help! She is 12 years old! I had no idea! It scares me to think she would do this without even asking! What should I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:57 AM on Feb. 25, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Why not let her use tampons? she has her period right?? I used then as a teen... who wants to walk around wearing a diaper. Buy her some... maybe get her some that are made for her.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:01 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Did you know she had started her period? I remember not telling my mom the first few months. She figured it out on her own. I bet she is shy and embarrassed like most other girls when they first start. I was so embarrassed I didn't say a word while my mom tried to talk to me. Just take the reigns and talk to her, even if she says nothing back she is listening. Be proud, and express this, that she was smart and independant enough to use a tampon on her on.
    AnnaMac

Answer by AnnaMac at 2:01 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• That is really bad! She needs to know that it is actually dangerous for her to use tampons because her vagina is not mature enough to withstand the stress tampons cause! Also, she is probably not responsible enough to remove them every four hours, if she is, she still needs to know the medical risks she is taking. I would explain to her these things, and inform her of the ultra thin pads that have baking soda in them to remove odor, if that is what she is worried about. I hope I helped!
    Kate Jones
    KateJones

Answer by KateJones at 2:03 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I am confused. This is the first I have heard about this being a bad thing. I don't understand why it is such an issue. OP, is it not ok for her to use them?
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 3:10 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• my mom wouldnt let me wear tampons either until i was 14 and then only for swimming. one day i put one on when i wasnt swimming and she saw the wrapper and yelled at me. to this day i still wear pads :]
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 3:19 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Although I didn't start my period until I was 14, I started out right away using tampons. I know that's 2 years older than your DD but I personally don't see a problem with it. As long as she is responsible enough to change them as she should, why not. I'm sorry but I've never been a big fan of wearing pads and the only time I've ever worn them was right after giving birth. Maybe she feels better using tampons.
    bagjmama

Answer by bagjmama at 6:54 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• According to my OBGYN they aren't good for women at all... My Mom had toxic shock from them and they are painful for me to use(tampons). I have to use maxi-pads. I hate them but I don't want to risk getting sick. I'm 36 and have had 3 children (natural childbirth)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:47 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I think you should just talk to your daughter, ask her about where she learned how to put them in properly, explain the risks to her....just be open and honest with her.
    Hastaluvme

Answer by Hastaluvme at 11:25 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• why should she have too ask too use a tampon she is not a baby i am guessing she is using them cause she has a period what is the big deal about this i would just let her know too make sure she uses them correctly and too keep clean don't make a big deal about it i know when i was in school i would use them more then pads so it wouldn't get in my clothes
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:47 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• She very well may be embarrassed to say anything to you. You should just casually let your daughter know that you noticed she has started to use tampons and hand her the little direction/warnings sheet that is in the inside of all boxes telling her that she needs to read that because they can cause problems if not used properly. Let her know that if she has any questions about it, to let you know since you've been using them for ?? years.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 11:49 AM on Feb. 25, 2009