Do you read lables at the grocery store and are you careful about buying cerals with sugar & high fructose corm syrup. My kids hate ceral now because all the good ones have HFCS in it which is bad and makes you fat and unhealthy. Any that taste good with out it??

Asked by teamhalsey at 9:59 PM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Health

• Oatmeal! So many variations to experiment with when it comes to old-fashioned oatmeal. We are trying to get out of packaged, boxed foods and eat more fruits, veggies, eggs, yogurt, etc. for breakfast. I'm hopefully instilling life-long eating habits ~ gotta work on making them good ones!

Answer by Trinjo at 8:28 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• i get the cocoa munchies or chrunchies or something like that that my son loves. it's organic, but i have never looked for if it has corn syrup in it. check out the organic cereals they are usually the best about that kinda stuff

Answer by mamacharms at 10:03 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I read labels, but I can't always avoid the bad stuff. I personally like Quaker Oatmeal Squares. Not to much sugar and no hfcs.

Answer by SidewalkPainter at 10:16 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• There are good choices in the organic sections of supermarkets. I prefer oatmeal, homemade granola, cream of wheat or rice. I stick with cornflakes, rice crispies, shredded wheat and plain cheerios if I buy the popular cereals in the boxes.

Answer by manna1qd at 12:03 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• Better to have the kids eating cereal because of all the nutrients, than not at all. I'm still trying out different cereals with my kids to find one that we can all agree on. I've also heard that HFCS isn't any different in your body than regular table sugar.

Answer by AJandCocoMommy at 12:37 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• Kachi go lean..or good old fashoined shredded wheat.

Answer by vbruno at 1:07 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• I always check the sugar on everything. And don't let the 'sugar alcohol' fool you, they are still sugar! Every so oftn, maybe every 6 months, I let the kids pick out whatever cereal they want and inevitably it's a sugary one...but normally it's a well balanced choice and yes...oatmeal is common in our pantry. We have to set a postive example, so I never eat that crappola! :o)

Answer by traciesbw0101 at 8:34 AM on Jun. 20, 2008