need some help please asap

i have had to put one of my dd into a mental hospital over the week end. she had something snap in her mind and she tried to take her own life and she also tried to take the life of one of her sisters and brother. it was a big mess. anyways my dd is not in the home she is in the hospital. how can i get my other kids (her older sister) to not have to sleep with every light on and how can i get all of my kids to stop sleeping on my bedroom floor and on the bed with me and my dh? they are safe how do i get them to understand that?

mommytwo5

Asked by mommytwo5 at 2:41 AM on Feb. 25, 2009 in Health

• Let them sleep with the light on for a while, and let them sleep in your room for a while. This is so tragic. All you can do is to understand that your kids have be traumatize beyond what they could have imagined. They've been attacked in their own safety zone (their home) and by someone they had 1,000,000 % trust in.

People who have been attacked suffer from fear and anxiety and it manifest in some odd ways sometimes. I don't mean that sleeping with the light on or sleeping with mom is odd, but that it is absolutely natural and warranted right now. It may take them a long while to regain trust in their own knowing that they are safe in their home. Get them some professional help, and get some for yourself too. You're all going to need extra mental strength and extra emotional support for some time to come.

PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 9:52 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• It is going to take time. They just had someone they trusted, someone who is one of them try to hurt them. Trusting each other again will take time. For now, let them sleep with the light on, and on your floor. They will get to a point you can move them gently back into a routine. JMO. I'm sorry you are going through this.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 2:44 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• By being patient and being there. It's not going to happen overnight...it may not even happen within a couple of weeks.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:58 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Its going to take time. Let them sleep with lights on and with you. You are the security that they are looking for So be there for them. Im so sorry this has happend. My prayers are with you and your family.
    Jmommy2B

Answer by Jmommy2B at 12:05 PM on Feb. 25, 2009