What can I do to get my 4 year old potty trained?

My son know that he needs to go to the potty and not go in his pull-up, but he always makes pee in the pull-up. he'll poop in the potty fine, in fact it's rare when He poops in his pull-up, but I can't get him to go pee in the potty. I've been teaching him to pee sitting down, my husband believes that he should learn to go every time before we teach him to go standing up. I don't know if this is his way of showing me that he wants to pee standing up like daddy. do you suggest that I try the peter potty (toddler urinal), or should I listen to my husband? Am I not trying hard enough?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:45 AM on Feb. 25, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I wish I could help. My twins still, at 3, are still not potty trained. They will use the potty in daycare but not at mommy and daddys home. Well, every now and then they will tell me when they need to go pee pee or poo poo, but they are not consistent. Therefore, they sill use their pull ups. I will not be the one to clean up their disgusting messes...I figured,when they were 3.5 or 4 years old, they could talk to me better and let me know when they had to use the potty.
    twicebabiesmom

Answer by twicebabiesmom at 3:07 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• try this if his father is the or any male family member will get them to take him and show him how to pee on a tire worked for my son
    bbuzzin

Answer by bbuzzin at 3:15 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• My son started very early and what worked best was toilet treats. Everytime he peed in the toilet he got a toilet treat. It doesn't have to be candy just something he really likes.
    marchbaby86

Answer by marchbaby86 at 3:37 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I have worked on toileting with preschoolers for 20 years. It is my opinion that pull ups only confuse and slow down toileting training success. Obviously your son does not poop in the pull up because it feels "gross!" A pull up pulls the wetness away and he does not feel it when he pees. Pull ups are just glorified diapers! I had a child tell me "I don't have to stop playing to go potty because I have a diaper on.", even after he had been told that he had on big boy pants. I suggest that you put regular underpants on him. At first he may need reminders or to be told when to go. You want to help him be successful. What about using stickers on a chart and a big treat when he gets a certain number of stickers. If you want to teach him to pee standing up, this might be more motivating to him to try since it would be like daddy. You can also put cheerios or drops of food color in the toilet for him to aim at. Good L
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 5:48 AM on Feb. 25, 2009