how do i get back on my sleeping schedule?

lately ive been going to bed around 3 or 4 in the morning.. and then i end up falling asleep with my son during his nap for a couple hours and then i can't sleep again at night. how do i get back to my normal sleeping schedule?

exxOHjackie

Asked by exxOHjackie at 3:43 AM on Feb. 25, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Stop napping. You'll be exhausted, but you can go back to sleep at night again? Hopefully?
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:00 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Bump yourself up an hour every couple nights. IE go to bed tonight at 3, then in a couple nights go to bed at 2, etc. About an hour before you go to sleep, take a warm bath. Baths/showers lower the body's temperature, signalling that it is time to sleep. Keep the lights dim, and stimulation low. If TV relaxes you, watch a little bit but shut it off about a half hour before you go to sleep. Same with writing or reading a book. Drink a hot cup of decaf tea with honey (no sugar). Chamomille tea or lavendar will help. Dab some lavendar oil on your pressure points. That last half hour while you are "doing nothing" focus on your breathing. This always helps me relax. Count your breaths. Accept thoughts that enter your head, but don't follow them (does that make sense?) Keep counting your breathing. HTH mommy!!!!
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 7:09 AM on Feb. 25, 2009