How can I get my breastfed 8 month old to sleep through the night???

I have an 8 month old daughter who has been breastfed to sleep every night and through the night. I want her to sleep through the night on her own. She sleeps in her crib about half the night and then with me the rest of the night. she wakes up about every 1 to 2 hours through the night. She doesnt like to eat very much solids but she's getting better. The past couple of nights I have started to sing her to sleep instead of feeding her to sleep and it has worked but now i'm tring to figure out how to keep her alsleep without me. I don't really want to do the crying method I just want it to be a somewhat peaceful way to get her to sleep through the night and to stay in her crib. So if anyone has any advice for me that would be great I'm getting exausted of having to wake up so much and giving up on trying to get her to stay all night in her crib . So please help.....

annamichelle608

Asked by annamichelle608 at 4:05 AM on Feb. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Your LO is still young yet. Babies reach sleep maturity at different ages--my LO still does not sleep through the night at almost 16 months, but she IS slowly learning how to put herself back to sleep without the breast. I cosleep, and that makes it easier. If I remember correctly, she was still waking often at 8 months (about the same as yours). You can check out the No Cry Sleep Solution by Elizabeth Pantley. I haven't personally tried it but have heard great things about it.

If your movement at night is what is bothering your LO try this: raise the crib mattress and your bed mattress to the same height. Take of one side rail of the crib, push the two together. I was left with a small gap, so I stuffed two pool floaties into the gap between the crib mattress and the side rail. DD doesn't feel me move, so she doesn't wake up as often, and vice versa. HTH
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 7:02 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I agree with epoh. My kids didn't sleep through the night until about 12-15 months and we coslept all night with them using the same side carred crib method as epoh. If you really feel you need to get your LO to sleep longer stretches then try the "No Cry Sleep Solution" book. I used it to get mine to sleep for about 8 hours straight when they were both 18 months old. Also keep in mind that what docto's consider "through the night" is only 5 hours at a time.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:20 AM on Feb. 25, 2009