If you had 100$ to spend on groceries for a family of five what would you buy?

For one week? We have chickens, so no need for eggs. Pretending we have nothing. (We are ok, and we do only spend 100 per week.)

SusieD250

Asked by SusieD250 at 4:06 AM on Feb. 25, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Well..pretending we have nothing except eggs. LOL
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 4:07 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Spaghetti is cheap. Chicken drumsticks are cheap. Buy stuff on sale. I would have some trouble, I'll be honest. We spend $125 a week for a family of 3. There are things we don't need, and I could cut down if I needed, but we spend quite a bit.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 4:08 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• beans, rice, ground beef or turkey (cheapest) ramen noodles, canned or frozen veggies. We should really talk I do this like every week.
    mrssullivan

Answer by mrssullivan at 4:43 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• GENERICS of anything possible, first off. Pasta-Roni-type noodles are relatively inexpensive. Bagged salad blends are always on sale here. PB & J is a classic. I know fresh is better, but canned fruits and veggies are filling. Whole wheat bread - even if it's cheap, it's more satisfying than white because of the whole grains. I also have a grocery store nearby that has crazy-good 10 for $10 sales on tons of different stuff. Bargain shopping is also a plus!
    KatieBatey

Answer by KatieBatey at 7:01 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• If you shop at a farmers market you can buy fresh vegetables even cheaper than canned ones IF they are in season. Right now is a great time to make soups and stews. And you can make a nice salad and buy nice bread or even wine if you want to splurge to go with it. Certain things are always cheap like cabbage and cauliflower, and they go a LONG way. Try going to a website and searing for what you know is on sale to work the sales into your meal plan. I never go to the store without my meal plan and grocery list. Spaghetti is one easy thing I make almost every week because it is cheap. Beans and rice, kraut and sausage are others. You might consider joining a warehouse club to buy things like chicken, pork chops etc in bulk. We belong to Sam's Club, but I recently bought a HUGE package of chicken thighs at BJs for $7. The membership cost is worth it for a family your size trust me.
    Littlejem

Answer by Littlejem at 7:54 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I shop every two weeks and spend about 160 for those weeks. So everything. And we're a family of 5.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 9:40 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• My SO laughs at me, and says I am keeping them in business. But, I go to Dollar General for cheap stuff. LOL They don't have meat or produce, but they have alot of canned and boxed food. I save alot of money going there
    irishmaiden26

Answer by irishmaiden26 at 10:12 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• pasta, frozen spinach, meats (to cut into bite size peices to add to dishes), bread, PB and J, on sale veggies and fruits, rice, canned soups, oatmeal, yogurt
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:56 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I'd buy milk, fresh fruit, frozen veggies, bread, dry beans, rice, oatmeal, pasta, pasta sauce(unless you make your own), ground turkey burger(where I live its $1 cheaper per pound than ground beef) and chicken and/or beef broth....get everything generic unless there's a great sale on a name brand.
    MommaLucy

Answer by MommaLucy at 11:11 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• milk, canned tuna, ground turkey, some hamburger/tuna helper boxes, one of those big bag of cereals or a couple boxes of cornflakes, chicken legs (drumsticks), cheap BBQ sauce, frozen veggies, rice, hot dogs, canned fruit or limited fresh fruit, pasta of some sort, spaghetti sauce, one or two of those bear creek soup mixes, some canned veggies (tomatoes, corn, green beans), bread, pb, jelly
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:24 AM on Feb. 25, 2009