Should I take my 6wk old to the YMCA daycare while I workout?

Hi,I'm a Stay at home Mom and my son is 6wks old and Im wanting to get out the house (I have a toddler also) and Im needing to get back in shape. I dont have anyone to watch the kids while I go workout so I was wondering if you thought it was to early to expose him to the "Daycare" setting especially with it being Cold and Flu season. I dont feel good about this because I dont want him to get sick but Im going CRAZY being inside all day! (My Husband works out of town during the week so I get NO breaks what so ever!) I know 6 wks is the age you would put them in Daycare if you were going back to work.....
What would you do?
Thanks.

Mrs.Smith84

Asked by Mrs.Smith84 at 7:25 AM on Feb. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I wouldn't go just yet. Kids in daycare get exposed so easily and with him being so young I would just wait but that is JMO.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:40 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I think it is fine. You need some time for you and to meet your goals. Just by going to the grocery store kids are exposed to tons of germs. You can't protect them all the time. Ask your doctor for a 2nd opinion and for their guidelines.

Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 7:44 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I am a childcare worker and I know that most Daycares wont let a baby come untill they are 8 weeks. So you might need to check out the age limit. I know that (and as you do for sure) 6 week olds need alot of TLC and attention... I am not sure if the staff at the Y (they only make about 7 bucks/hr) will be all to happy to have such a tiny one there. I did read/learn that a baby who goes to daycare before 6 months gets sick less and suffers from asthma less too.... So I would not ban the thought of daycare at a young age... Just this young...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:48 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• They do take Children at 6 wks. I just dont know what to do. I do not even take him to the store. I just need to get out for my own sanity! But my first concern is the health of my Child. I dont know.....

Mrs.Smith84

Answer by Mrs.Smith84 at 7:55 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Go to the local mall and window shop, its good exercise, and you can have the baby there in a stroller, they do need to get exsposed to germs so their system can learn to fight them off...Go to the library for story time (at 6 weeks they are not too young for that, they love to be sang to) Check and see if there are any local play groups... But I enjoy window shopping :-) But I ALWAYS end up spending money :-)
    ashley_hatty

Answer by ashley_hatty at 8:06 AM on Feb. 25, 2009