daughter's weight

My 15 yo went vegetarian a couple months ago. i fugured her weight would chnage now that her diet has changed. Okay. Well the school called yesterday upset about as the school nurse put it she has lost 10 pounds since this time last year. Okay that would mean she's 5'3" and now weights 124 pounds. The nurse also stressed that she should be putting on weight not losing it. I tried to let the nurse know her diet has changed but she cut me off saying my daughter needs help for her as she put it anorexia. She's still within normal weight for height. Should I adress this with the school nurse?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:40 AM on Feb. 25, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• find a bmi (body mass index) chart that supports the idea that 124 for a 5'3'' girl is well within the healthy range, take it to the principal, ask how the nurse will be reprimanded for harassing the parents of perfectly healthy children.

AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 12:47 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• I would take your dd to the pediatrician and explain you think her weight is alright but you want a second opinion. Explain to the dr that the school is interfering and saying they know whats best for your dd. Alot of times that pisses drs off. If the dr thinks shes fine then take a note fromthe dr to the nurse and tell her you followed up on her advice but a trained medical DOCTOR doesnt agree and you want her to stay out of it.

Answer by gemgem at 7:43 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I would take her to the pedi and just get her checked. How long ago did she become vegetarian? 10 pounds isn't that much but at her age she really shouldn't be gaining much more to begin with and a 10 pound loss can't hurt either. Just get her a second opinion to make yourself and your DD to feel better.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:07 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I would take her to her DR for a checkup tell him/her that the school nurse is concerned about her weight loss, but let your DD talk to the DR alone just in case there is a problem that she isn't comfortable talking about in front of you. 10 lbs in a year is not an alarming amount of weight loss, but the nurse could be seeing or hearing about other behaviors that your DD isn't doing at home. Most likely the Dr will say she is fine then take a note to the nurse- hand deliver it if possible and tell her thanks for the concern but the Dr says she is fine!
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 9:16 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• i would be talking to the head of the school that is not right for them to be calling you telling you that your daughter is under weight or what is right for her they are not her family doctor i have never heard of a school checking up on a childs weight also call her doctor and let him/her know what is going on and see if they may want too see her
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:18 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I think she is at a perfectly healthy weight. When I was that age (I'm 5'2 by the way) I weighed 100. I didn't reach over 110 until high school when I started running track. If it makes you nervous take her for a physical and talk to her doctor with her about her diet. Other than that as long as she is getting the things she needs like protein and iron that she normally would get from meat elsewhere (like beans and peanut butter) then she should be fine.
    ramita

Answer by ramita at 12:11 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I agree with the other posters, the place to start is with the pedi. They will be able to give your daughter suggestions that won't violate her desired diet but will give her the nutrients she needs. I would also have the pedi write a note to the school nurse and keep one for your records that says he or she has reviewed your daughters diet and has found it sufficient.

Often school nurses get a bit paranoid with the kids health. I had a school nurse threaten to call CPS on me because my twins, who have learning disabilities, failed an eye exam. I had just taken them for a well child check and to the optomotrist. So I had the doctor and the optomotrist write notes for me. I gave copies to the principle and told her I would be filling a harassment charge with the district if this happened again. It stopped and she was reassigned the next school year. Apparently I wasn't the only one she had done this too.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 3:53 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• she is a teen girl. All teen girls loose weight because they start to care what boys think and as you said she is eating healthy. I think that i would set up a time to talk to the nurse and ask her just why she thinks that your dd has a problem. there is also the issue that another student may have said something to the nurse about your dd weight loss. teen girls are an emotional train wreck so just talk to the nurse and ask some questions.
    Anonymous

• My son had a teacher that rudely said he was bullemic when he was 13. she handled it very badly but i took him to the doctor to have him checked out. we found out that my son was actually type 1 diabetic and that was why he lost so much weight. once we got him on insulin he gained weight - in fact he gained 30 lbs the first month. best thing to do is take her to the doc if she is anorexic or bullemic the doctor can usually tell. it could be something else - also talk with a dietician - just because she is vegetarian doesnt mean she has to loose weight. you really need to watch and make sure she is still getting enough protein and there are lots vegetarian forms of protein.
    WinnieM

Answer by WinnieM at 7:45 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Unless there are other issues just losing weight is NOT a clear indicator of an eating disorder. the full criteria for anorexia is:
    Refusal to maintain body weight at or above a minimally normal weight for age and height (e.g., weight loss leading to maintenance of body weight less than 85% of that expected; or failure to make expected weight gain during period of growth, leading to body weight less than 85% of that expected).
    Intense fear of gaining weight or becoming fat, even though underweight.
    Disturbance in the way in which one's body weight or shape is experienced, undue influence of body weight or shape on self-evaluation, or denial of the seriousness of the current low body weight.
    In postmenarcheal females (women who have not yet gone through menopause), amenorrhea (the absence of at least three consecutive menstrual cycles).
    Anonymous