Breastfeeding.. Am I drying up??

I have been BF for almost 4 weeks... and it seems like he cant get enough... I am no longer leaking milk (and boy was I!!) and my breasts dont get hard at nite anymore.. I have been bottle feeding for the past 2 days, I dont want to starve him! But I miss BF and do sneak it in... How can I up my supply??

ashley_hatty

Asked by ashley_hatty at 7:43 AM on Feb. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't think you are drying up, I think you are just producing enough for baby. It can happen though with some mothers but not many. There is something out there you can take but I can't remember the name, something that starts with an F. I'm sure someone else will let you know. I will try to google for you.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 7:52 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Why did you start the bottle? After about 4-6 weeks most women's supply and demand have worked them selves out so they stop leaking and feeling "full" (hard). That is just the nature of it. I would get that child back to breast and ditch the bottles. At 4 weeks old even if your supply has decreased a little from giving the bottles you can still easily get it back. You are not supposed to leak all the time and feel hard. At 4 weeks old he is most likely taking a growth spurt too which means he will nurse more frequently and they still nures like every 2-4 hours at that age any way. If you really do want to up your supply try fenugreek (you can get it in the vitamin section).
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:52 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• fenugreek
    Christine0813

• Thanks!!
    ashley_hatty

Answer by ashley_hatty at 7:56 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• You need to ditch that bottle ASAP, before you do damage your supply. It sounds like your milk had regulated which is a good thing. You don't leak, and get engorged, and feel full forever. Just nurse on demand, and as long as you are changing 6-8 diapers a day, you are fine. Constant nursing is NOT a sign of low milk, just a sign of a growth spurt, and normal babyhood.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:32 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Eat oatmeal and drink lots of water
    PatriciaofMN

Answer by PatriciaofMN at 8:34 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Lose the bottles! Your milk supply is fine! Babies nurse constantly at that age in order to boost your supply. If you can hear baby swallowing and he has plenty of wet diapers, you are doing fine. But supplementing with formula is the best way to ruin your supply. Kellymom.com has tons of great info.
    TanyaR1024

Answer by TanyaR1024 at 8:50 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• my little one is 5 months and I am drying up, she was loosing weight...so now I am slowly switching to formula
    amber325

Answer by amber325 at 9:02 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Amber, let us know if you'd like to get back to breast. There are a few of us here that can help if that's what you want.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:20 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Stop the bottles! Your baby is probably going through a growth spurt. Just nurse him as much as he wants. .
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 9:27 AM on Feb. 25, 2009