WHAT HAPPENS IF YOU ARE SERVED TO GO TO COURT AND YOU CANT AFFORD AN ATTORNEY?

I AM IN LOUISIANA. MY EX IS CLAIMING HE CANT WORK...YET HE CAN HIRE AN ATTORNEY TO TAKE ME TO COURT. HE WANTS TO MODIFY VISITATION AND CHILD SUPPORT.

7ALLTOGETHER

Asked by 7ALLTOGETHER at 8:47 AM on Feb. 25, 2009 in Relationships

• Does he have the child or do you? If you have the child and he's trying to pay less you probly don't need a lawyer. Alls you would need to do is keep track of how much you spend on your child every month compared to what he gives you. And then ask why he wants more visitation cause if he can't afford to give you the child support he has been giving you then how is he going to take care of your child while he has him/her. My dad took my mom to court all the time trying to take me away and my mom could not afford a lawyer either so she would just show up with family that could prove my mom was taking care of me and she would win everytime. We went through it like 3 times.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:42 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Public defender? Start calling around and see if one will take payments too. I would bring that up too, if he can't work how can he get a lawyer, gawd.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:48 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I would go to court, with or without an attorney, if you don't show you will not get a chance to have your say.. He will get what he wants, is that what you want?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:50 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I believe the court appoints a lawyer for you, but it won't be a very good one....you should definitely call a lawyer in your state and ask - things with the courts vary from state to state. also, the first person who answered had a good idea about trying to find a lawyer who might allow you to make payments or something.
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 8:55 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I don't know any attorneys that do payments on a retainer fee,lol Have you thought about legal aid through your state? Call your local family services or look online.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:04 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Call the court and request a public defender. I am suprised they didn't ask you. That is what you need to do, I work for a public defender.
    pattigioeli

Answer by pattigioeli at 10:06 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Child support will represent you in this case call them and call them now!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:44 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I think you only get a public defender when you are charged with a criminal offense, not for child support or custody matters.

Show up by yourself if you have to, see if you can get things postponed til you can hire an attorney.
    JustAMom2008

Answer by JustAMom2008 at 11:29 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I think in most states you can ask for a court appointed attorney. Also, most places have a public defender's office. You might try there.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 11:37 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• the state will appoint a lawyer for you if you want one and cant afford one
    HollyRose

Answer by HollyRose at 12:15 PM on Feb. 25, 2009