Should my 13yr. old be allowed to talk to her school crush till 10:00 on a school night?

This is a constant battle. I have to take every phone in the house including her cell and hide them in my room.When I do this though she makes life miserable for everyone in the house with her bad attitude! Am i being to strict?

yankeegirl1962

Asked by yankeegirl1962 at 9:14 AM on Feb. 25, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• I don't think you're being too strict. 10 pm is awfully late for a 13 year old to be on the phone on a school night. I would advise also calling the boy's parents and letting them know that their son is calling that late since they may not be aware of it. If they ARE aware of it, then advise them that your child is NOT allowed on the phone that late and ask them to restrict his calls to earlier times.
    cat0325

Answer by cat0325 at 9:18 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• no you are doing the right thing. what about HIS parents? When dd gets old enough I think the phone/internet will be cut at 8-9pm on school nights... Weekends & Summers will be diffrent.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 9:16 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• No you are not being strict if anything her butt should be in bed by 9:00.

I put my kids up for bed at 9:00 if they act up they have gone to bed as early as 8:00 but they act well behaived 10:00 is the latest. (Of course with good grades and conduct). But as far as your daughter with attitudes no way she should be glad that you are giving her until 10:00 on a school night if she doesn't shape up and show some kind of appreciation I would take all her priveledges away. Make it 9:00 the latest and 10:00 on the weekends if she wants to play that game. GL

Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 9:20 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I don't know I didn't have a bedtime when I was 13, if I was up late on the phone then it was my own problem if I was tired the next day.
    Is she talking really loud and disturbing people or what?
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 9:46 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I think when she is 13 she needs to learn her limits. If she is up late talking the next day she is going to be tierd in class and she is going to want to go to bed early. She is 13 and she is in that stage where "she is an adult" even thought we know better. Thats what she thinks. So maybe just try the you dont notice it act and she will go to bed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:56 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Definitely not, I have a 16 year old daughter and she's only allowed to use the phone until 9:30, no exceptions. The key is to stay consistent. It's the only way. She'll cry and kick and scream for a while but don't give in. Eventually, she'll accept it.
    tcorbs

Answer by tcorbs at 11:18 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I don't think you are being too strict. Has she always been defiant of your authority? Maybe you need to teach her the difference between rights and privileges. If the bad attitude persists, try taking away a few of the other goodies that you have provided for her. Tell her she has to earn the right to get them back by displaying an improved attitude. It sounds like she may have gotten used to having things a little bit too much her own way.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 11:41 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• No...not too strict at all. Kids need boundaries, limitations. JMO I would take away more priviliges too....especially if she is making the rest of the family miserable with her tude! My 13 yo better be off the phone no matter who it is by 9:00 on school days. Of course she had a tude too...ooops for her. I seem to be having a prob. with "potty mouth" in my 13 yo...recently..lol! Stand strong mama...stick to your guns.
    Loryl

Answer by Loryl at 3:13 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• No, and I say that because of her response. She appears way too attached to this young man. I am assuming they see each other in school.  Too many young girls get too attached too young. 

teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 3:56 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• i dont think you are being too strict. however, what time does she go to bed? I would just make a limit of how long she can be on the phone. if she gets a bad attitude and is rude to all hte people in your home when you have to take the phone away, i would tell her to go to another room. i know my 8yr. old is not a teen but when her or her brother do the pouting and through attitudes and fits (which the bad attitude is a teenagers form of a fit to me), they are sent to their room until they can have a better attitude. she has to learn to respect you and your rules.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 9:00 PM on Feb. 25, 2009