What do you think of this?

My five year old daughter just recently brought home a letter from school. Stating that the Department of Health has mandated the school disricts notify parents of their child's Body-Mass Index-for-age percentile. So they measured my daughter. Here's why I am mad, My daughter is 3'7 and one fourth and weighs 49 and half pounds. According, to there calculations she is overweight. Bull crap! I have pics of her posted on my profile. Take a look and tell me if you think she's overweight!
I do not believe they should be weighing children in kindergarden. Now I could see if in 7 th or 8th grade! When most of your baby fat is gone. But kindergarden, come on people. What do they want stick figure children. My daughter, sees her doctor regularly, and not once has the doctor said anything about her weight.

irishmaiden26

Asked by irishmaiden26 at 9:19 AM on Feb. 25, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• i think it's bs, just seems like another way to try and control us. your daughter looks a bit chunky but not overweight.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:22 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• They wonder why kids have problems with body image. What happen to the days that it was the parents responsibility to make sure their kids weight was okay? I think if their is a noticeable problem, yeah, the school maybe should step in. But to just label a kid just because. You would think with teachers loosing their jobs that maybe some of the funds could keep teachers around instead of doing every kids BMI.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:26 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Give me a break, I would tell the school to mind their own business.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 9:27 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Like I said my daughter is five and wears a size 6 or 7/8. Yes, she has a little belly! But, so what most kids still do. As she gets taller she wil thin out. I hate the fact their already trying to label kids.
    irishmaiden26

Answer by irishmaiden26 at 9:31 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Don't even worry about it just as long as YOU know she is healthy and especially if the doctor did not say anything.  I guess the school is just trying to prevent her (them) from becoming obese. Just another thing they have to do by state I am sure. But don't worry I totally agree with you. I know they expect alot from our kids even the kindergartners.  When my son was in kindergarten they said he was not meeting kindergarten expectations when I knew very well he was doing great at least with me here at home, it made me so mad but thank goodness he did pass to the next grade. Just do what you have todo Don't let them get to you. GL

Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 9:35 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Thanks Butterfly1108. I agree they expect to much from them in kindergarden. Like they want them to be able to recite their address and phone number. My daughter knows not to talk to strangers. But, what about other kids who just might tell the wrong person their address and phone number. Schools are insane anymore.
    irishmaiden26

Answer by irishmaiden26 at 9:41 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• My daughter's old school did that every year. She was in that school for Kindergarten and 1st grade. In 1st grade we were informed on the sheet that she was considered grossly underweight. She was 6, 3'5" (or around there) and 34lbs. (in kindergarten she was 39" and 32lbs.) She was the size of the average 4yo. I just laughed.
    She sees her doctor and is underweight but her doctor isn't worried since she is on her own growth curve.
    She's 8 1/2 now, is 4' tall and only weighs 40lbs. She's just always been small and probably always be.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:41 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• The BMI is not an accurate way to consider overweight or not. That's a well known fact. They said they were required to send the letter home to you and they did. So? Are they telling you to put her on a diet? They sent the letter, you know her BMI is a little higher than average. Okay. According to the "charts" she is a little overweight. Her pictures do show a little bit of a heavier girl....but at 5 I wouldn't be worried about it. Just make sure she's eating a healthy diet and getting plenty of activity. More of what you're probably already doing.

My 5 year old is 3' 7" and weighs 44lbs. He has a BMI of 16.8. He's at the upper end of the "healthy weight" on the charts. (just under the "overweight" section of the charts) I'm not doing anything different.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:41 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• That's sad. What a good way to get young children started on the road to eating disorders! You tell your daughter she is perfect the way she is and don't listen to the "government"! I remember having that stuff calculated for me when I was in 6th grade. I agree that she still probably has some baby chub on her. My almost 5 year old has chub still!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:53 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• You have a beautiful daughter! My son is 5, 46" tall and 47 lbs, he's perfect to me....... I would go up to school, voice my concerns with the letter and maybe prevent another one going home with the other children... We are tax payers, they wouldn't have a job if it wasn't for us, you have the right to do it....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:06 AM on Feb. 25, 2009