I need information on PTSD and how to deal with it?

I have read everything I could find. It is my SD16 we have had severe behavioral problems are in counceling and she is being evaluated. So days are really stressful. When she screams and cries for no reason. When she puts her hands on other siblings and causes pain. To teach them a lesson. We have only had her 1 year of her life. BM had her the rest of the time when all these horrorfying things happened to her. WE are just stuck in the after math so to speak. And we don't have much time before she's 18 and wants to go back to her home town and marry a loser and ruin her life basically. Please help if you can Thank you for reading

dawn8379

Asked by dawn8379 at 9:21 AM on Feb. 25, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Wow, you have your hands full! I think you've already taken the best first step, which is to get her into counseling. Your days are going to continue to be stressful. One of the best things I think you can do is talk to her. Spend a lot of time with her. Set rules and boundaries and stick with them. If she breaks them, she needs consequences. She has to be held responsible for her behavior. I have a lot more to say to try and help, but I'm walking out the door to go to an appt. I'll be back shortly to write more. Whatever you do, try not to give up on her. She really needs you.
    Littlebit722

Answer by Littlebit722 at 9:30 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Id get her into counseling with someone who deals with teens in crisis and behavior therapy. Unfortunately the damage has likely been done but like a judge I have worked with says we can do whatever we can while we have you LOL. So make her go even if she hates it. It might plant some seeds so when she does go back maybe theyll take and she can make better choices.

Answer by gemgem at 9:47 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Since I don't know what kinds of things have happened to her, I will assume she has been physically abused in some way. The very best help I have ever found was through a counseling program at a church. The psychiatrists didn't help; the psychologists didn't help; the therapists didn't help; and the drugs didn't help. The church counselor listened and he seemed to understand and I was eventually able to find freedom. Unfortunately, I was forced to search for years for the right kind of help. Your step daughter has been severely wounded, and what she really needs is healing. If I were you, I would call around and see if anyone in your area has anything to offer like what I finally found. You may have to go to a larger city. I drove two and a half hours each way, but it was well worth the trip.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 12:01 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• You really really need to get professional help with her. Get her evaluated and into therapy while you still have the power to do so and NEVER leave her alone with her siblings. NOT EVER!!
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 4:15 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• hi i have a 11 yr old with ptsd and i understand how hard it is to see her suffer!! councelling is a good start! dont give up on it. some children dont ever recover from ptsd. it is something they have to work out themselves. and what works for one wont for another. i find for my girl the best things are consistancy and ALOT of love and reasureance. set boundarys and keep them consistantly the same for all kids. dont fight just send her to her room "for a break" when things get out of hand. ( you can come down when you can be nice) make her feel like she has some control even when she doesnt. and be prepared it will be worse before its better!!! i doubt you will have her set to rights before she is 18 but dont give up progress is up to her. the choices she makes are her own all you can do is teach what you know. message me if you want.
    allforthelove

Answer by allforthelove at 3:16 AM on Feb. 27, 2009