Is it normal for a child to pee every 2-5 minutes when potty training?

My daughter will sit on the potty and pee, and then be done. She will get up to play and within just a few minutes, she is grabbing herself and saying it hurts and has to go potty again. So we sit her down again, and she goes again. Is this all part of the normal process, or should I be concerned. I had chronic UTI's as a kid, and I want to make sure she doesn't have the same problems I did.

lovebugs_mom

Asked by lovebugs_mom at 9:24 AM on Feb. 25, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It could be an UTI, or excitement from learning. If you want to be sure just give her pedi a call. GL.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 9:26 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• It could be either from what you describe. If she is saying it hurts with the having to go often, it could be a uti.
    Or since she is learning to potty train she is learning how to use and relax those muscles to pee. She may not be letting it all out at once and then when she starts to play realize that she has to go some more. And then sometimes children will even really be interested in the potty training and keep saying they have to go when they really don't but they will make a little pee come out just to make you excited.
    Therefore I say watch more of what is going on. Does she get really excited about it, is she just learning, or is she really in pain or struggling to go?
    momofpurebliss

Answer by momofpurebliss at 9:41 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I worked in a day care and didn't see that with my 6 toddlers. Could be a UTI.
    Anonymous

• I also worked in a daycare, the preschool room. One of my 4 year olds had a problem similar to what you described. She was in the bathroom 12-20 times a day, and going pee. She ended up with a UTI as well as another bladder condition. She started taking medicine each day, and is now doing alot better. I would say that you should play it safe, take her to your ped.
    angel012682

Answer by angel012682 at 2:04 PM on Feb. 25, 2009