Why would my baby be screaming bloody murder to have his diaper changed?

He does not ever get diaper rash, so there is no reason for him to be afraid of getting changed. He is always happy and then the minute I change him he fights me and screams bloody murder. Could there be something wrong that I don't see? I know as babys get older they don't want to be still and they roll over and stuff but this is like be going on for awhile everytime time. Oh, and I do try to distract him and sing to him or give him a toy but none of that works.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:34 AM on Feb. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son did this.. Everytime i changed his diaper.. or his clothes.. or his environment..
    He absolutely hated change - ANY change.
    The only thing that worked.. is exactly what the other mommies are saying.. start talking to him. Talk to him all the time.. tell him exactly what you are doing, where you are going.. what you will be doing... and so forth.
    It wasn't so much that they really understand at first.. but they see that mommy is calm and "okay" with this.. and eventually.. they associate the words you are using to understand what is going on.
    Good luck.
    4xmommy2008

Answer by 4xmommy2008 at 10:19 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• You might need to start to talk to him let him know what you are about to do so he won't feel uncomfortable maybe he gets cold and does not like that feeling. My guess.

I have a friend whose baby does this once in awhile at first she was calm about it but some how the baby caught her in a bad mood and she gave alittle smack on his leg (not hard to hurt him) but enough for him to get the point and he never did that again. It was funny at the moment. He was like what the...?  GL  Or yes give him something to distract him if that helps.

Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 9:40 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I don't think hes old enough to understand if I explain it to him.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:43 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• LOL, my daughter was the same wya. When she was able to roll over she used to try rolling to get away from me. I ended up having to throw one leg over her while I changed her to keep her still. It was a nightmare!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:43 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Do you have a wipe warmer? My son hated the cold wipes...might try that. To the first poster...Did you really say it was funny that your friend hit her kid?

Navymama

Answer by Navymama at 9:45 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• OMG don't be such a drama queen...Navymama

It wasn't a smack smack it was one of those things you had to be there to see for yourself. OMG Please....

Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 9:48 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

You would be surprised at what babies do understand. At use to work at a daycare and we were required to tell the babies that we were picking them up to go have their diaper changed. We had to tell them step by step of what we were doing. The parent's was made comments about how the baby hated to have his/her diaper changed at home but at daycare they never cried about it. A few of the parent's started doing it this way at home and they noticed an immediate change in behavior.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:49 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• i think she meant the face that he made the what the....face was funny.
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 9:49 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• navy mama, i think she was saying his reaction to it was funny not the idea of her smacking him. And it obviously wasn't enough to hurt if he made a funny reaction rather than just crying.

But thank you ladies for your suggestions.

Renee, I am having to hold him down with one leg too lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:51 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I'm hardly being a drama queen. If I were, I would have said more then I did. I do understand kids make funny faces like that and I totally get it. However, depending on the age of your friends kid, I don't think the "swat" was necessary.

Navymama

Answer by Navymama at 10:06 AM on Feb. 25, 2009