Unemployment

Is anyone familar with how employment works? I applied on Monday for unemployment. Do I just wait to hear if I get it or do I have to call someone?

danielle8717

Asked by danielle8717 at 9:39 AM on Feb. 25, 2009 in Money & Work

• They will contact you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:40 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• You should get something in the mail saying they got the application and with an amount you qualify for if any. It doesnt mean you ARE getting that but itll have a day you are to call in or log in online if youre doing it online to answer questions. In the meantime they get in contact with your former employer and make sure you lost your job through no fault of your own or were fired and do all that. Employers can attempt to block paying it, 25% do, or they just let it go through and youre approved.

Answer by gemgem at 9:44 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• They will let you know if you are recieving it, but you should still file every other week. Because if you wait to hear and its a month out and you havent filed, you wont get your money, or they may think that you no longer need it. So if you filed monday you have a waiting week. Then you need to file again next sunday, well claim not file sorry. And then do it again in two weeks. Then when a decision is made they will get your back checks out to you, or i think now its like on a prepaid visa card or something. good luck! and just an FYI if you didnt choose to have taxes taken out now, you will have to pay on it at tax time! However, i Obama just passed that you dont have to pay on the first $2,500 i think!
    babymaddy

Answer by babymaddy at 9:44 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Thanks so much ladies for the help. I wasn't aware that I should make sure taxes are taken out. I am glad I know that know.
    danielle8717

Answer by danielle8717 at 9:54 AM on Feb. 25, 2009