How do you handle daylight savings with your kids' routine?

Do you slowly ease them into a new routine or do you go cold-turkey?

In less than 2 weeks we'll be springing forward. My kids normally go to bed at 8 but according to the clock that night it will be 9. How do you handle switching things around?

ReneeK3

Asked by ReneeK3 at 9:39 AM on Feb. 25, 2009 in General Parenting

• Mine go to bed at the normal time for them, and then slowly adjust their bodies.

Answer by gemgem at 9:41 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I put my son to bed at what would have been the normal bedtime. My son also goes to bed at 8 so I will put him to bed at 9. Yes, he will get up earlier than I would like the next day but buy the end of the day we are usually back on schedule.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 9:43 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Go to bed at the normal time. The next day meals and naps are adjusted to the new time and bedtime is at the new time. The day after that....no trouble!

Well, it works with my three anyway.....lol
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:44 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• My kids are grown now. But when they were young,,They went to bed at the same time every night. Didn't matter what time of year it was. Day light savings didn't have any thing to do with their bed time. In my house.

Answer by louise2 at 9:49 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Mine are in bed by 7:30, it takes about 30 min for story and kisses , school will be out soon, they will get to stay up until 9pm... I stick to a routine because of school, if they get out of the swing of things then it's hard to get back to normal when school starts again. I need downtime as well with 3 boys and hubby gone for 4 weeks at a time. I'm beat by 8pm.....
    4x4mum

Answer by 4x4mum at 10:33 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I just use the clock like normal, till the summer time when bedtimes are 1 hour later. If your child is in school just keep to your schedule it will take a few days but his body will adjust just like yours, YEAHHHHHHHHH SPRING is almost here!!!!!
    59cinderella

Answer by 59cinderella at 10:36 AM on Feb. 25, 2009