How do I get my 6 month old to use a bottle!?

He has become quite picky. I gave him a bottle for the first month or two while my breasts recovered from the new and painful suckling. Now he swon't touch one. All he does is cry until I finally break down and just brestfeed him. I'm trying to get out more, my mother says I might go insane if I don't. My mom would be baysitting for me but I need to get him use to the bottle before I do anything or I will be a nervous reck the entire time! He eats solids every once in a while, but he is very picky about them and makes faces when I try to feed them to him. Appleauce is about the only thing he likes. Any advise would be much appreciated!!!

vcrumbley

Asked by vcrumbley at 9:48 AM on Feb. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I am sorry I dont have good advice for you. The same thing happened to me. I tried everything except starving her to give in. I couldnt do that. My baby is now 8 months old and i dont even try to give her a bottle anymore. I figure its a lost cause. She sometimes drinks from a sippy cup. I figure she will go straight to the cup. I understand your frustration!
    AliMom714

Answer by AliMom714 at 10:06 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I think it's common for a breastfed baby to refuse a bottle if you don't continue using one. Try a sippy cup...
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:06 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Keep offering the bottle but use the nipples like your breast. Offer a sippy cup he is old enough, and no matter how much he refuses the solids just keep offering, and give him the sweet veggies such as corn, carrots, squash... might need to heat slightly and add very little butter and seasoning for him to like. Also mashed potatoes, baby cereal, ... Does he have any teeth yet? Give him some food he can hold in his hand, that is harder than most, raw carrots, pickles, .... my kids loved these at this age. And go out so he fusses, your mom raised you she can handle it.
    59cinderella

Answer by 59cinderella at 10:28 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Do YOU feel like you will go insane if you don't get out more? I never really wanted to be away from my babies. Some people thought I was crazy, but I felt perfectly sane. They are only little for such a short time! How about going out and taking baby with you? What is it that you want to do where you can't bring baby too? How about mom comes out with you and the baby? You can go to lunch shopping etc. and grandma can hold the baby unless he needs to nurse. At 6 months you can probably get out for 2-3 hours if you nurse him right before you leave. Mom can offer some apple sauce while you are gone and he can nurse again as soon as you get back. Mom can keep him happy for a few hours if you leave him with a full tummy.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:19 PM on Feb. 25, 2009