Why is it bad to let babies sleep in swings?

YoungTwinMommy

Asked by YoungTwinMommy at 9:56 AM on Feb. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think just a bad habit to start
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 9:57 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• because if you leave the baby in it while they are sleeping then they won't be able to sleep just laying in the crib. They'll get use to that feeling of constantly being rocked when they sleep, so they won't be able to sleep without it.
    vcrumbley

Answer by vcrumbley at 9:59 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• It isn't necessarily bad. Some doctors recommend it for infants that are congested with a cold. My daughter only ever napped in her swing but at night she was in her crib.
    momoflilangel

Answer by momoflilangel at 10:04 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I concur with all of the above, but a swing is a needed item for baby if really congested since they can breathe better this way.
    59cinderella

Answer by 59cinderella at 10:11 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• My son used to nap in his swing all the time. He never had a problem sleeping in his bed, either -- and he hated to be rocked (by a person, lol.) He loved his swing and that thing saved my sanity in the early months.
    JudesMomma

Answer by JudesMomma at 10:14 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• When my son was a newborn, he slept best while either on a low-speed swing, or laying on my chest. By the time he was 2 he was sleeping like a rock, all night, in his crib, in his own room.

Every child is different. If a particular method works for you and your child, and everyone is happy, then you should do it.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:15 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Mine all slept in their swingsand I never sawit as a bad thing. They were comfortable and safe and I never had an issue with sleeping since we cosleep.

Answer by gemgem at 10:16 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• My daughter had to sleep sitting up because she had medical problems that caused her to have really bad acid reflux. So I put her in her swing or bouncy seat to sleep. I don't see anything wrong with it as long as they still sleep in there bed at night.
    kenziesmom2006

Answer by kenziesmom2006 at 10:16 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• my youngest had really bad reflux and she slept in a "convertible" highchair It reclined and lowered and had a 5 point harness and she slept in it until she was about 9 mths old in my room during the day I would let her nap in her swing or bouncy seat so I dont see a problem with it
    crazy_mum

Answer by crazy_mum at 10:26 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• My 3 slept in the swing in the early weeks for naps (they were all pretty big babies, though, and outgrew it fast lol). They slept in the crib at night. I don't know what's wrong with it if the baby is happy. Just don't leave them unattended.
    SahmTam

Answer by SahmTam at 10:29 AM on Feb. 25, 2009