Do you have your pre-schooler enrolled in Karate?

I currently have my 4 year old son enrolled in Taekwondo since September here in NY. He seems to really enjoy it and it is definitely building up his confidence, although he is still extremely shy. I find it pricey but I spoke to one other mom in a different school and I think it just might be the going rate. We pay $100 a month for classes 3x a week, belt test fees are $35, reactiving a new contract is $85 and the sparring gear is about $300. The instructor is REALLY good with the kids and my son loves going and working with him.

I was just curious as to your experiences with your child in Karate. How has it helped. What are the expenses you incur - monthly fees, belt test fees, any other fees?

Thanks a bunch! Looking forward to hearing from you.

Susy

bronxsahm

Asked by bronxsahm at 10:23 AM on Feb. 25, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My first son was at Karate for Kids. It's very expensive and I felt in that school they were just moving the kids up in belt because they could. I mean every kid in the class was moved up at the same time and I felt my son wasn't deserving sometimes. I wanted him to learn discipline and respect outside of home and be able to protect himself if need be. So I actually stopped taking him about two months before his contract was up. I have found another local place that's about 70-80 a month and they will not move up in belt unless they really earn it. We just can't afford it right now. Not all kids learn at the same pace. I think his test fees were about 35 as well.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 10:29 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I was a Tae Kwon Do teacher. Mostly for adults but sometimes I would take over the small children's class. Teaching adults is actually harder than teaching children. This was in south Texas. Your rates you described are lower than what our school charged. I think it's a really, really wonderful things for kids. Just never get Tae Kwon Do and karate confused. Your son's teachers might not like you after that, haha! There is a slight dislike between masters of each type of martial art. You might talk to the teachers about other options. I had some people who cleaned for me for reduced class fees. I didn't really tell people about that and never let anyone know those people did that. But some places will work with you.
    DDry

Answer by DDry at 10:43 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• My girlfriend and her husband run a karate school, I was just talking with her yesterday about the three & four year olds in the program..the parents say the kids grow so much from these classes, so its definitely money well spent. I will ask her what her prices are and let you know. The gear sounds costly, but the other costs seem reasonable. I will get back to you. Is there a way you might purchase gently used gear from other parents?
    grandmalinda707

Answer by grandmalinda707 at 11:02 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Not yet - she's only 2 - but I think it's a great thing for kids to learn. Especially girls. I hope she'll never need the physical skills to defend herself but the confidence boost and the discipline are priceless.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 1:12 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• My son just signed up for a karate class at the recreation center in our town. He's done a few other classes there and loved them. Ours here is huge, very nice and when I looked at the Karate studios I found the rec center was nicer and a fourth of the price. It is $57 for twice a week for 12 weeks which is super cheap (yes $57 for all twelve of the weeks not per a week!!). Everywhere else I looked was well into the 300-400+ a month. If you have a rec center it wouldn't hurt to check it out.
    usbornebooksdh

Answer by usbornebooksdh at 1:52 AM on Feb. 28, 2009