My son is 4 years old and refuses to potty train! Any ideas?

For 2 years ive tried pull-ups, "big boy undies", making him sit on the potty....and even have charts for prizes! I'm at the end....please help!!

shell22

Asked by shell22 at 10:54 AM on Feb. 25, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I never had a boy. But, I heard this works. Get a fruit loop or cherrio and put it in the potty. Tell him to aim at it and try to hit it. Make into a game.
    irishmaiden26

Answer by irishmaiden26 at 10:56 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• It works a friend taught her some that way
    heather.darin

Answer by heather.darin at 11:01 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Does he attend preschool or playgroup? My nephew was just like that and his parents didn't have him in any kind of group activity. Once he was put into a playgroup he saw the other kids who no longer used diapers or training pants. He wanted to be like them and never regressed. Peer pressure of the good kind, huh??
    grandmalinda707

Answer by grandmalinda707 at 11:05 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Don't push it. The harder you push the issue, the harder and longer he'll push back. Chances are you started too early and when you start too early it often takes a lot longer. Also, this is something that your son has control over. He's at the age where he wants to be in control of something and it appears this is it. If he WANTED to potty train, he would. He just doesn't want to. Put him back in diapers and back off. Guaranteed he'll do it on his own by the summer. Don't fall victim to the PullUps crutch. That's all they are, a crutch. Using those tells your son that it's still alright to pee and poop in his pants. Either it's all or nothing. Diaper or underwear. But, I'd say put him back in DIAPERS and see how long it takes for him to get tired of being a BABY and start using the potty. Worked for my son! He REFUSED to use the potty. I knew he could do it, he just refused. A week in diapers did the trick.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:27 AM on Feb. 25, 2009