My 2 year olds throw everything off the table and dump their food constantly.

Okay one is 22 months and the other is 28 months and when we sit them down at the table they dump their food and then fling it all over the floor. We have tried leaving it on the floor (they throw their bowls/sippys/food) but nothing seems to be working, any advice, Please they are driving us nuts. :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:03 AM on Feb. 25, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I'm with MommaLucy...it's a game to them, but not so much fun for you! They DO understand at that age. Tell them firmly that it's NOT ALLOWED. Even give them a second chance to finish their meal. If it happens a third time, follow MommaLucy's advice. I know it's hard to watch them ask for food afterward but after about two days they will realize YOU MEAN BUSINESS.
    grandmalinda707

Answer by grandmalinda707 at 11:13 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• When my boys did this, I had them help me pick it up, and then they went with out dinner and spent quiet time until bed. If it happens at breakfast or lunch, give them nothing until the next meal....no snacks period.

After doing that a couple times, it should break the habit. But you have to be consistent...no giving in and giving them snacks, etc.
    MommaLucy

Answer by MommaLucy at 11:07 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• My dd just started this and we are doing pretty much the same thing mommalucy said.
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 11:11 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Two things:
    End the meal right then and there.
    Make them help clean it up.

Being hungry until the next meal or snack won't hurt them. Helping to clean up messes is one of the things that being in a family is about.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 1:01 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I always end the meal right then. DD is too young to help clean up, but yours do sound old enough.
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 1:39 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Well, I suppose it depends on how you look at them. They are first and foremost scientists! They are exploring their world and learning cause and effect - when I do this to my food, it falls. Then what happens? Hmmm...you decide. They are not being naughty or anything else like that - they are exploring their world and trying to make sense of what happens. Also, by not feeding them any snacks becuase of this behavior will just make them hungry. They don't understand why dumping their food an hour ago means they can't have food now - your discipline needs to be immediate and not last any longer than the immediate situation calls for. True, going hungry won't hurt, but that doesn't mean they'll connect their behavior an hour or two ago with your "No Snack" response now. They will grow out of this stage once their curiosity is satisfied - I would suggest just having them help clean up, but nothing more than that.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 3:05 PM on Feb. 25, 2009