Do I need to feed baby rice cereal? I tried and she hated it so we went to veggies and she likes them. Is rice needed?

amber325

Asked by amber325 at 11:10 AM on Feb. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No. I would try it a few more times though. Babies can take a long time to decide if they like something.
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 11:11 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• My older boys liked rice cereal only if I mixed a little fruit in with it --- but they still didn't get very much. All my kids are intolerant of all the iron they pump into the cereals & formula. We used low-iron formula, but there's no such thing as low-iron cereals (or formula any more now).

Anyways... got off track there... lol --- my point was that my kids got little to no baby cereal & all turned out fine.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 11:13 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• No, it actually has almost no real nutrional value, other than what the manufacturers have enriched it with.
    MommaLucy

Answer by MommaLucy at 11:13 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• No, it isn't need. Formula is the only thing that they need. The only reason why we start giving them the extras is to teach them how to manipulate food in their mouths! Just continue on offering it, sometimes it takes a lot of offerings befor they will like something!
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 11:14 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• It can take up to 17 times of introducing a new food for baby to truely like or dislike it. I'd keep offering it for a while, other wise you'll be setting yourself up for a battle for the years to come with having a picky eater which is proven to lead to eating disorders later in life. Hope this helps
    RileysMommy1004

Answer by RileysMommy1004 at 11:17 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• We offer cereals when the baby isn't full from formula or breastmilk, is it needed? no there are other cereals you can try but like the rice it takes more than one try to get the child to eat it. You can try mixing in some juice to sweeten it a little and try it that way. I won't comment on nutritional value because I have no idea if it has any or not. If your baby is still satisfied with only formula or breastmilk you don't need the cereal just yet otherwise just try slowly introducing the cereal one spoonful at a time. Good luck.
    BooBear666

Answer by BooBear666 at 11:20 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Rice cereal has almost no nutritional value, babies do not need it at all. Veggies and fruits are way more important.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 11:42 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• i used oatmeal and/or whole grain cereal. the rice cereal reminded me of farina which i thought was gross as a kid. I usually added some of the stage 1 or 2 food (can't remember now and it wasn't all that long ago)
    chuggerboysmom

Answer by chuggerboysmom at 12:22 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• no its not that big of a deal. if you feel she needs it in order to stay full longer try mixing it with her formula or even with her baby foods. Also, talk to her doctor he/she may advise you to add it to her milk in her bottle every baby is different.
    ramita

Answer by ramita at 12:30 PM on Feb. 25, 2009