How do you keep your little ones out of your houseplants?

My youngest is 22 months old & we have 2 very large indoor plant/trees. We have them in our bedroom but when I am changing sheets, cleaning, putting away clothes, he loves to play in the dirt & leaves such a mess, he's also starting to tear leaves off. A firm "NO" does not seem to help nor does a light slap on the hand. Other than staying out of the room while he is awake, can anyone advise? He doesn't mess with any of the other plants throughout the house but they are much smaller. Thanks.

oahoah

Asked by oahoah at 11:45 AM on Feb. 25, 2009 in Home & Garden

• If you get a good answer, I would love to know too. Cora does the same thing with our tree. She stays out of it for the most part, but there are times she gets that "twinkle" in her eyes and I know the plant is in for a massacre!
    mommyorient

Answer by mommyorient at 1:52 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Ok, so your probably not gonna like this answer...but...you need to just move them for awhile to somewhere where they can't get into them. It will get better in a few months, that is like the my kids and the dogs water bowl. Both my kids LOVED to get into it, so I would just move it up and when they were down for a nap and at night put it back down. Plus I kept an extra bowl upstairs in my room for my dog at night, this one the kids never messed with. They are just curious, and since it upsets you when they get into, they are gonna do it more. They love to see mommy get angry! :-) If you choose to keep it there....then all I can say is repetition, repetition, repetition...they we get it eventually, but it may cost you your sanity! Good luck!
    Momma211

Answer by Momma211 at 4:36 PM on Feb. 25, 2009