Just curious... How did you decide your party affiliations?

I am not from this country... but I follow politics very closely. I want to understand how you chose your party affiliations? What influenced you... your family, your upbringing, your geography, your education, your friends Or just the overwhelming support for one party over the other in your region or something else?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:48 AM on Feb. 25, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• My family has always educated me on the differences and when I was in high school and college, I took a lot of political science classes so I could learn and decide for myself. I believe knowledge is power in every aspect of life but in politics, it is really true. I took as many classes in college as I could to learn as much as I could. Of course my morals have a lot to do with my beliefs as well. My education armed me with the tools to make an educated decision.
    DDry

Answer by DDry at 11:52 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Well, for awhile I followed what the rest of my family was doing. Now I honestly research each candidate and read their platforms. I select based on which one I agree with the most. I hate when people jump on the bandwagon. Read, Learn, Decide. Don't depend on what everybody else is doing.
    sidzwif

Answer by sidzwif at 11:52 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I am actually an independant, but lean to the left for sure. All of what you listed influenced me. Its funny, as it turns out I have only one friend who leans to the right and we NEVER discuss politics... My DH was republican when we first met 11 years ago, but he decided to change to an independant also, he even voted democrat in the last 2 elections. He's very strong minded, so it was not my influence that changed his mind.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 11:55 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• My mother is a liberal hippie. My father is as conservative as they come. I was raised listening to both sides of the political debate through the years.

Overall my values are more conservative than liberal. Especially in values dealing with the economy and business.  I believe  in a free market, capitalistic, fiscally conservative economy.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 11:58 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• For me there are a lot of influences, I grew up in California the San Francisco bay area. That area tends to be more liberal and therefor follows the Democratic party more closely. I also grew up in a family of strong Democrats.  As an adult I studied both parties and felt that my own personal political philosophy also feel more in the range of Democrat.  I now live in an area of California that is far more conservative and much stronger Republican.  I also am a Christian and many in the Christian community are conservative Republicans.  So my present voting has been influenced by those factors too.  I still tend to vote and am registered Democrat, but it isn't automatic.  I vote for the person I feel is most suited for the job.

teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 12:00 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• When I was young and in school and didn't have any real responsibilities (meaning mom and dad could bail me out if need be) I was a die hard liberal. Then after school I got a job for the government, and saw how things really work from the inside. I saw how incompetent people get ahead by talking a good game, and how numbers were managed to keep less advantaged people down where they were more useful as warm bodies. I gradually shifted more and more to the right, and officially registered as a Republican about 15 years ago (before the neocons corrupted the party in full force). As more voices of reason continue to pop up, I stick around hoping things will get back to normal and the fake pubs like Bush will be silenced.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:06 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I was actually raised Democrat. Back then, the Democratic party was not as liberal,and bass ackwards as it is now. It was indeed for the working man. My Grandad was a die-hard Democrat. However, as I got older,and issues became more important to me, I began to see that the liberals taking over the Democratic party were advocating abortion,and gay rights,and taking God out of our society. I became a Republican,and have never looked back. At least Rep. are trying to protect the sanctity of both human life,and traditional marriage,as God intended. No, they aren't perfect,but at least they match my values and morals more closely. And, with the nightmare the Dems gave us this election, I'm glad I'm not affiliated with them anymore.
    Anonymous

• I'm the only Libertarian in my family, so I found it all on my own. I just looked at the way I view this country and my beliefs and found the Libertarian Party to be where I fit the best.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 12:17 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• "The fear(respect for) of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom." Prov. 1:7

While I'm not 100% happy with the Republican Party, the values and ideals that the Democratic party espouses are not ones that I can go along with.
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 12:36 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Back when I was a misguided youth I was republican. I believed what they did aside from the rights of gays. I was all about guns, guns, guns, capital punishment eye for an eye blah, blah.blah. I suppose I felt that way because of how I was raised. Then I was kicked out at 19 and things changed.

I'm 32 now and I would have to say I'm much more liberal than conservative but I can still see some good qualities in conservatives.
    JackalsWife

Answer by JackalsWife at 12:43 PM on Feb. 25, 2009