• In the Spotlight:

How to talk to a 2-year old having another baby in the house?

My daughter is almost two and I am due in August. She went through a lot in the past year (last October me and her father split), she had to get use to a new guy in my life, and now she is going to have to get use to a new baby and step-brother (which isn't so bad because he is only around every other weekend). I now things have changed a lot, but how do I help her do this transition from being an only child to having a little brother or sister?

ramita

Asked by ramita at 12:02 PM on Feb. 25, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Make it exciting for her. Tell her there is a baby in your tummy. Show her pics of the ultrasounds and point out the features she will recognize. Tell her she will be a big sister and will get to help take care of a baby. Does she have a baby doll? If not get her one and play together with it. Show her about changing the diapers and feeding it. You'd be surprised at how responsive she will be.
    sidzwif

Answer by sidzwif at 12:08 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Buy books about being a big sister, things like that. just keep letting her know about the new baby, let her help with decorating or setting up for the baby. It does seem like she has gone through a lot so I hope she adjusts well. Good luck.

Navymama

Answer by Navymama at 12:09 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Just include her in as much as possible. You should get the thing that lets you hear the babies heartbeat at home and let her hear the baby. Our son was 2 when I had our Daughter and we involved him in everything. He was SOOO excited. Good luck and congrats
    happyathomemum

Answer by happyathomemum at 12:09 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I'm due in 3 weeks and my daughter will be 22 months. I'm going to let her pick out a "present" for baby sister and then baby sister is getting her a dora book called big sister dora and then i bought another one that is the little critter book about having a baby and i off set it with a my little pony book so that she doesn't feel like its all about the baby. W talked a lot about it for the last 6 months. I bought her a baby doll and i keep telling her she's gonna be mommas big helper. I bought the little diapers so she when the baby gets her she can do the same thing i'm doing. Good Luck!
    kinzleysmommy

Answer by kinzleysmommy at 12:12 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I've talked to her some about it and she plays with her baby dolls alot when she is really sleepy and tries to make them go to sleep. i've shown her the first ultrasound pics and tell her there's a baby in mommy's belly, but I don't think she quite gets that part. I've seen her around other baby's and she is very good and careful always trying to love on them, but she doesn't care much for me holding another baby in front of her. That's the thing I'm worried about most is her getting jealous of the physical attention I give to the baby.
    ramita

Answer by ramita at 12:19 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• My ex and I split when my daughter was only 6 months. She is now almost 2 1/2 yrs old, and I'm expecting any day now with my fiances baby. My daughter also had to get used to a new "daddy" figure as well as his three boys. Kids are really resilient! You'll be surprised on how well she will handle this new change as well. My ex-husband just had a new baby with his girlfriend, and my daughter has done wonderful. No fits, tantrums or acting out. Just keep in mind to let her experience as much as possible with you while your pregnant. I think the ideas of her helping to get things ready, and knowing there is a baby in your belly really have helped my daughter. But it is also important to make sure she won't feel left out. Set aside time for just her after the baby comes. Make sure she knows that you haven't forgotten her. This will help to reasure her of her spot in your family. Good Luck!!!

angel012682

Answer by angel012682 at 1:25 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• ... and always include mentioning how this is what you did for HER when SHE was tiny. Talk about how much you looked forward to taking care of HER ... and say out loud to her how much you love doing things with HER.

Siblings Without Rivalry is a great book. One of its important points was: never make her responsible for the baby. She should never get in trouble because of something going on with the baby. Don't do the "I TOLD you to keep the baby out of the dogfood !" ... or "entertain you sister while I make this sandwich". ... No. She is helping YOU - she will utterly love doing it - but she is never to be a substitute for you. If you burden her with this, she MUST resent the reason for it. Even much older children are not equal to caring for the safety or needs of a younger sibling. Demanding this of them is unfair and can only create fear, resentment or self-doubt.

Sorry to be so strong, but I see so much of it.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 3:40 PM on Feb. 25, 2009