Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

We STILL Don't have Health Insurance! Advice?!

My husband works full time at Safeway. He's been there for 15 months and we STILL don't have our health insurance. When he first started he was told he'd get his insurance in 3 months, but than the manager that told him that transferred and he was told by another manager that he would get it in 12 months. Well, November rolled around and he was told that he wouldn't get health insurance until 15 months (february) and dental in 18...well, its been 15 months and nothing is being done! And thats not all, I have epilepsy and sometimes my husband needs to stay home with me...but now they're saying that he needs a note from my doctor confirming that I need him home! We can't afford that. Hello!! He works at Safeway and we don't have insurance! We can't afford for me to go to the doctor's every time I have seizures!! I get they're running a business but it doesn't seem right they're demanding note without insurance!

Answer Question

Asked by mambearwhitt4 at 12:09 PM on Feb. 25, 2009 in Just for Fun

Level 1 (2 Credits)
Answers (6)
  • Do you have any documentation of your seizures. If so look into the Family Medical Act. It is a act passed to make sure the employee didn't lose there job due to an illness that requires help from the employee.

    Answer by sidzwif at 12:11 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

  • Your DH should talk his managers boss. about all this. He might get answers then.

    Answer by louise2 at 12:14 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

  • You need to get a copy of the company manual. Your husband should ask for the policy in writing. It sounds like they're jerking him around. The average is 90 days before you can get company benefits. I have NEVER heard of making a full time employee wait that long. That's crazy. They should have a policy about sick days or "family days" (which is what they call it when he has to stay home to take care of you when you are sick).

    Is your husband in a union? If yes, then he should take this to the union rep. If NO, the he needs to speak to the manager, if the manager is the one jerking him around then he needs to go over the managers head. He can't keep being passive about this or you will never get the benefits you need. You're family is at risk, he has to stand up to them and make sure they give him the benefits he deserves. If he really, really can't get anywhere after getting the policies in writing then...

    Answer by beckcorc at 12:23 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

  • Have him casually drop that he is going to talk to the state labor board about the issue. That should turn some heads.

    Here is my story:

    I worked in a day care a few years ago. I signed up for benefits and was paying for them for months. Then I got sick. I went to the doctor. Then I went to the pharmacy. The pharmacy informed me that I was never enrolled in the health benefits. I was furious!! I had paid for them for 9 MONTHS before I realized I had NO coverage. My bosses refused to make it right until I Threatened to call the labor board. They wrote me a check that day.

    Answer by beckcorc at 12:25 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

  • i was just going to say about the family medical leave act... also, you obviously have a prior doctor, they can right you a note, and you can also get a copy of your medical record.. its yours..just tell them you need to update some files on your pc and they will give you a copy of your medical record... that will be enough for safeway... and i am sure your doctor will write you a note..

    Answer by sweetscrappin at 12:43 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

  • oh, i meant to include thatthey will write you a note without you paying for a visit

    Answer by sweetscrappin at 12:43 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.