Anxious over kindergarten readiness

My son is due to start kindergarten in August, and I just don't feel he's ready. He can sing his ABCs, and count to 11. I have been working with him for quite a while, and it just doesn't seem to be sinking in. He has no desire to learn this stuff. I was spoiled with my older son as he loved learning from an early age and knew ABCs and how to count to 20 at 2 years old. I can't afford preschool, and our income is too high to qualify for headstart.

What's the worst that's going to happen if he's not ready? Retention if he's unable to learn the skills necessary during his first year of kindergarten? Kindergarten is not required by law here, but he obviously needs it very much. I know we have time to continue working on this, but as its taken so long to get to the point we're at now, I'm worried as he'll be testing for Kindergarten at the end of March.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:25 PM on Feb. 25, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• some kids (like my own daughter) just for whatever reason don't learn so well with us but do so when they are in school and see that the teacher and other kids are doing it. I don't know why. I would go ahead and let him go to kindergarten and see how he does, you can always hold him back in kindergarten but I bet that once he sees the other kids doing it he'll probably get into it.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 8:32 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Be patient don't let it bother you. Keep working with him, but don't push him. My son started to pick up alot more when he started school. I think it had to do with learning with other kids. He'll get it. I also think the schools want the kids to know to much before school starts. Do they test the students before kindergarden? Our school district does. They have a list of everything they exspect the students to know before starting and then they mark off what they feel they need more work on.
    4boysandmom

Answer by 4boysandmom at 12:40 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• they do the testing to place a child in the right class the kids that are a littel slower or advanced. Alot of it is basic things of idenifying an sounds. We were told to teach our kids the phonic alphabet not so much as the letters, Teach him to speak properly in sentences. he will be just fine as long as you have been taking time with him in this area where some kids are lacking attention!
    Anonymous

• Just keep playing with him and teaching him through play. Don't worry about the ABC song. That doesn't really teach much. It's nice for them to remember the order of the letters, but if they can't recognize the letters it's not much good at all.

You can hold him back a year and just not put him in Kindergarten this year (work with him through the year and put him in kindergarten next year)...put him in first grade next year and hope he doesn't get held back then...or put him in kindergarten this year and if he is held back, so be it. Better kindergarten than 5th grade or whatever...

Personally...let them do the evaluations and see what happens. Put him in kindergarten and see what happens. He may "catch up" and surprise you!! So he's not where those who have been to preschool are....eh...I don't see it as a big issue at this age....
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 12:54 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• P.S. I bet he won't be the only kids who doesn't know "everything".
    MamiJaAyla