What do you think about the option of a four day school week?

It looks like the Missouri House endorsed it yesterday. I think it would mean more daycare for families. What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:29 PM on Feb. 25, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• If they make a 4-day school week then they better be prepared to offer a 4-day work week to all employers. I don't think employers would like that too well either. Plus the employees would end up taking a pay-cut. Why would they do that though? To me that is depriving the school-age children a day of school.
    QTMom2302

Answer by QTMom2302 at 2:04 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• It would require companies to do the same or daycares to start staying open later as well. I personally don't like the idea.
    Anonymous

• LOTS OF DAYCARES WOULD HAVE TO BE ABLE TO COMINDATE ALL THE EXTRA KIDS.
    Anonymous

• I seriously doubt employers are prepared or willing to accommodate all the parents who would suddenly be stuck with a situation needing one day a week child care. Where I grew up, this was a regular threat by the school district to get bond issues approved, and it always worked. Is the state house going to also endorse legislation to prevent employers from firing employees because of the schedule conflicts this will cause?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:37 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• If they want to make a four day work week, then yeah great.
    Anonymous

• Doesn't matter to my family I work from home so going to 4 days wouldn't hurt us at all . It would be better most likely !
    baby1love

Answer by baby1love at 12:38 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• More money for daycares !!!!!!!!!!
    Anonymous

• More money for daycares !!!!!!!!!!

Only if they're willing to give up full-week placements to leave room for one day a week placements. There's a limit to how many kids are allowed per adult, and I honestly can't see too many daycares staying empty M-Th just so they can have more kids on Friday.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:40 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Sounds great to me.
    Anonymous

• It would save in operation costs for the schools, city, state... It might eventually free up money to be used on text books, computers, etc? As long as any long term surplus that came of it DID NOT goto the teachers union. I am all for it!
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:59 PM on Feb. 25, 2009