What age is okay to take on a float trip?

Plannin ahead for memorial weekend,my dd is will be 17 mths old and we will be getting a large raft, the river is a very calm one, what do you think? We would like to be able to take her with us, i have seen other people bring children on the trips, the raft is a 6 man raft with no likely hood of flipping due to the calmness of the river we will be on, as long as we take precautions do you think we would be okay?

proudmomofJena

Asked by proudmomofJena at 12:35 PM on Feb. 25, 2009 in Travel

• I would say if you put her in a good life vest and KEEP her in it, and make sure that she is sitting in the boat at all times, not up walking around or anything, it should be okay. I personally would keep her sitting with me in case the boat does for some reason flip or you hit waters that are rougher than you expect. That way you don't have to worry about her getting trapped under the boat or floating off should the boat tip. My extended family has done a lot of boating, and I don't see why a toddler can't go if you follow safety precautions.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 12:49 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I owuld consult the River Guide group you will be renting the raft from. If it is your own raft then I would check with a local River Raft group for their policies and why they have them. I am a little on the cautious side so I would not take her but if you are comfortable after getting as much info as you can then go for it. Life vest for sure!!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:07 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• You should check with the rafting company--sometimes they have age limits. My thought, is this, The life vest is a given. If you are doing this on your own--make sure that there is an extra person that can help out---in case something happens and the raft overturns. Get your darling used to being in the water---between now and then. The more comfortable your child is in the water--the less shocked he will be in the water.
    Have a good Memorial weekend
    emme1964

Answer by emme1964 at 11:58 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• take her to the local boat shop, and have them properly fit her with a vest.. dont go to target and do it yourself.. make sure someone qualified does it.. also, if you can get her into a swim class, even if its the week before.. also, make sure you are up on your child cpr card. buy some toys that are water proof for her to play with.. have fun..
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 11:16 AM on Feb. 28, 2009