Son wakes up at 5:30 every morning

I am nursing an infant every 2 hrs. all night long - I can barely function the next day because my toddler is waking so early! I've adjusted his nap times, made them shorter, put him to bed later (sometimes that has made matters worse). Our bedtime routine is good and not an issue. We read about 20 minutes of books and he is tucked in by 7:30. What gives? For any of you who've had success changing the nap/bed time to resolve this issue - how many days/nights did it take before your child started sleeping in later? I've only tried 2 days in a row, maybe not long enough. Or is there something entirely different I can try? Dr. says he's just an early riser and there's nothing I can do but put the gate up do you all agree? He throws a fit and wakes up the whole house if I don't let him out. Please help.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:44 PM on Feb. 25, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Don't put him down later maybe even try a little earlier. Early rising can be a cause of a late bedtime. I would also make sure that you are using room darking shades to block out the light. Then I would set a light with a timer. Tell him that he can't get up unitl the light turns on in the morning. First, I would set it for 5:30 since that is what he is used to. When the light turns on go in immediately and make a big deal about the light turning on and now it is time to wake up. Ever 2-3 days I would move the time that the light turns on back about 10 min. ish. Keep doing this until it is closer to the time that you want him to get up like 7. Just make sure you don't go in to him until the light turns on no matter what. This is what we have done with my son and it has worked great!! GL
    mazonmom

Answer by mazonmom at 2:24 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• 530am sounds like a normal time for a toddler to be waking from going to bed at 730pm..if you're putting him to bed later yea, I would probably give it like a week for a change...but he could not change either, just watch him to see if he's overtired my son used to wake up really early but he was still tired but woke up anyway. I hope it works out for you.
    Anonymous

• My son who is 3 1/2 months gets up between 4-4:30am. It might be a phase or yes it might be a early riser.
    LND

Answer by LND at 1:03 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I so understand what you're going through. My son was always an early rise (still is at 8 years old). THere's an article that might be helpful for you in changing his sleep schedule:

http://www.babycenter.com/404_how-can-i-change-my-toddlers-sleep-habits_7542.bc
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 1:03 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• my son was an earlier raiser too, so I understand. babygates are good but speaking from exprience it can sometimes lead to other issues down the road. I started putting him down for bed and it took a little time about 2 weeks before he really started to sleep in just a little later. and when I used the baby gates he would just scream until he had everyone up, but that is because when they get up they are hungry and need the attention. and leaving them in their room with a babygate up can lead to some issues about seperation and even yelling and screaming because they think that is the only way to get your attention. the only real suggestion I can give you is to try the putting to sleep later and just keep working at it. It will pay off in the end.
    Anonymous

• Mazonmom is right: a later bed time can cause an earlier wake time. (See Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child by Dr. Marc Weissbluth).
    Try putting him to bed a little earlier and if he wakes at 5:30, don't take him out of his crib/bed until 6 a.m. I'm assuming he still naps. Be sure if he takes one nap that he's down for his nap by 2p.m. at the latest. (Somewhere between 12 and 1 is ideal). Give it time and I'm sure he'll adjust and hold off until at least 6 or 6:30.
    My 27 mos old twins have been on essentially the same schedule since they were 6 mos old. Bed time is at 7p.m. and they wake between 6 and 7 a.m. I followed Healthy Sleep Habits.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 2:32 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• With my twins I ended up giving them their last nap at about 4:30 -5:00 every day .I let them sleep no later than an hour after they fall asleep, getting them up at 6:00pm .,then dinner a bath play or Sesame St. then to bed at 8:30. Now they will sleep till at least 7:00am when they hear DH get up for work.
    twotwinsmom

Answer by twotwinsmom at 2:36 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Some kids just wake up early..its their natural rhythm just like adults have a natural sleep rhythm. What you can do is try to get him to go to bed earlier..sometimes kids will sleep more when you put them in bed earlier...they don't become hyper from over exhaustion then.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 3:22 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Thanks for all these great suggestions! Why is that my Dr. (who gets paid for this stuff) didn't come up w/ any of this??? Anyway, I should mention my son is 2 & 1/2 and I also have another son 3 & 3/4 and the oldest has always slept from 7:30 to 7:30 like clockwork, which is ideal for me. I would LOVE if the 2 yr. old would follow suit. I never thought that 7:30 could be too late of a bed time, though. I will try putting him to bed earlier, and I really like the idea of the timer light! One more bit of info. He is a very good napper. He sleeps from Noon until 2 or 2:30, sometimes I have to go wake him up b/c I'm concerned if he naps longer he will wake earlier.
    vivianirene

Answer by vivianirene at 8:36 PM on Feb. 25, 2009