• In the Spotlight:

Why do people care how some one spells THEIR childs name? or if THEIR childs name is "different" or not?

I have seen SO MANY bashing polls posts and questions about unqiue names and spellings, personall i like unqiue names but not spellings but thats my choice for my children.. why do people care how someone elses childs name is spelled or what it is?

JrsMommy07

Asked by JrsMommy07 at 12:47 PM on Feb. 25, 2009 in General Parenting

• Because the rest of us have to figure out how to spell the thousands of strange names, and it's not fair a child to have to continually spell their name out for someone their entire life because their mother thought they were being creative.

Its hard to take someone seriously when they have a 'fluff' name and are attempting to be an adult.
    Anonymous

• Actually I don't care about how you spell your kids names. Just stop asking about how you should spell it. Sick of that.
    Anonymous

• because some moms are control freaks and they would love to name the entire world!
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 12:53 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I personally like different. As in Shelley as to Shelly but really different is harder for the child growing up. I have to spell my last name everytime Im asked what it is and im used to it now:)
    mom_wrhsc

Answer by mom_wrhsc at 12:54 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I like the simple spellings and my stepmother will always spell it wrong everytime, she's not dumd or can't remember it makes me so mad that she does it on purpose. her name is Sidney with an I Not a Y Who cares why i chose to make it an I its non of her buis.!!
    Anonymous

• I don't think it is a matter of caring or demanding that no one spell a name uniquely ever again. I think they have their opinion one way or another which they're totally entitled to just like you're entitled to say that you like it :-) I think we've all been in a position one time or another where we irritated someone by getting their name wrong (and people aren't always nice about an honest mistake!). I think the sudden popularity of unique and differently spelled names is intimidating to people who have been in those situations before? Or to the kindergarten through third grade teachers that have the daunting task of teaching these kids to spell those names? lol. I don't know. Either way, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 12:57 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I don't know why it bugs me, it just does.
    Anonymous

• Why does it matter? Let people name their kids and spell their names however they please. To each their own, ya know?
    momoflilangel

Answer by momoflilangel at 12:59 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

----------------
    Ditto, I have spelled my maiden name AND my married name my entire life and people still get it wrong. I couldn't imagine having to do the same for my first and/or middle names.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 12:59 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I think its cool to spell the name differently...doesnt ur child mean the world to u?? my sister is picky on the spelling but only because she feels they deserve a unique name because they are unique. my last name is hard to spell and nooo one around here can pronounce it but im not mad at my mom for marrying my dad because its so hard to spell, It makes me who I am and I love it I do believe its a cool thing to mix up the letters for a little spice to the name
    taichilady

Answer by taichilady at 1:00 PM on Feb. 25, 2009