Name Brand Formula Vs. Generic Brand Formula

Which is better or are they the same?

xocyncyn

Asked by xocyncyn at 12:47 PM on Feb. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• anon. this was not a breastfeeding question in anyway so that wasnt necessary. and as for it not being too late you dont know if this person was physically able to bf some people arent. actually i have tried relactation and im too dry so yes sometimes it is too late. but back to the original question. i dont think there is a difference but i also dont see much difference in any basic formula. i would run it past your ped to double check but give it a shot. get a small can of generic and wean the baby by mixing half of whatever they were used to and half generic. good luck
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 1:51 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• They are the same. Just buy the FDA approved 1
    Anonymous

• Many are the same and even come from the same manufacturer. I'm not sure which ones because I haven't used formula but you can probably google the generic brand you're thinking of buying and find out where it comes from. Get the FDA approved ones like anon said.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 12:53 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Same ingredients. One is made by a big company , the other is a store brand. No different.
    mom23boys679

Answer by mom23boys679 at 12:54 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• they are the same. compare the ingredients. Wal-Mart's brand is the same as Enfamil.
    momoflilangel

Answer by momoflilangel at 12:56 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• They are basically the same. Similar to generic medications....same basic ingredients, different or different amounts of filler ingredients.

I (personally) didn't switch but I had one with a slightly sensitive tummy....WIC provided the majority of what we needed but I still had to buy some.

If you're thinking of completely switching over...go for it. It's not a problem. (just my guys and mixing the two didn't get along...)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:10 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• They are baciscally the same I tryed the Wal-Mart brand with my youngist one then ,she got GERD and the doctor swithch her to Enfulmell with rice ,WIC provied it ,but they wanted to give me a proumble had to get nasty with them.
    babyangle

Answer by babyangle at 1:39 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• breastmilk is free and you never have to worry about which artificial milk to buy. it is always the right amount, perfect temperature, and immediately available. no bottles to wash, nipples to sterilize, formula to heat up. breast is best, it's not too late-you can still breastfeed!
    Anonymous

• many of them are exactly the same. If you compare the each brand side by side they have the same ingredients.
    myangel21

Answer by myangel21 at 2:06 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• With name brand formulas you are only paying for the name.
    Uniformity is ensured by Congress under the Infant Formula Act of 1980. The Infant Formula Act says all formulas have to contain the same, er, formula. (In a recent tweak by the FDA, all must contain DHA, Omega 3 fish oil.)
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 2:11 PM on Feb. 25, 2009